Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: new performers  (Read 1769 times)

rober

• Smokey Joe
new performers
« on: November 26, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
is it me or do the newer performer lid dampers seem wimpier than the older models? the metal seem thinner & mine does not fit/seal as well. I do not have an older one here to compare it to any more. I also think my older one cooked better too but I do not see why that would be. I split a 24# turkey in 1/2 yesterday. I smoked I/2 in my performer/Cajun bandit smoker & 1/2 in my good one open range. the open range did a better job. in fact I finished the weber 1/2 in the open range. in the past I've smoked 12-16# birds my old performer/Cajun bandit with much better results.

jtimm

• Happy Cooker
Re: new performers
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:03:23 AM »
I will have to agree with you. Just saying. I have a older performer and a new one newer one, the top vents does not fit tight. Both hold the heat different.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 06:09:25 AM »
That's a shame if they have lessened quality on one of the most critical parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:09:20 AM »
the damper is an easy fix. just buy a replacement damper for an older model. but as the size, shape, the one touch mechanism, etc are all the same as the older kettles why would it not cook the same?? I had an older performer stolen from my driveway. luckily my Cajun bandit smoker attachment was in the garage. so Saturday I had the same Cajun bandit rig on my new performer. it was a struggle the entire time to hold the temperature I needed. on my old grill I had paint dots on the ash catcher marking the one touch lever positions. using the paint dots was like having a thermostat on the grill. I could set the lever & literally would not have needed my maverick thermometer. it was that predictable. hopefully i'll get the new one sorted out. I also find the newer ash catcher to not be as user friendly as the older model. so-what could I be missing? why would what is basically the same grill set up not cook/heat the same????

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
Is it brand new?  I've heard newer cookers cook a little hotter due to the heat reflection on the new interior shiny surfaces. Maybe just need a few cooks to sort out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rober

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:57:35 AM »
yes it is new. Saturday was the 2nd time I've used it. I can sorta' see how a shiny interior would be more reflective but I've not noticed this with past grills.