Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow 22 questions input needed from fellow grillfellas  (Read 4978 times)

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
Yellow 22 questions input needed from fellow grillfellas
« on: November 07, 2016, 05:39:27 AM »
So I made a contact a while back in the Cedar Rapids /Marion area of iowa.  Bought a few kettles from the guy. Gave him my number so if he found anything in the future he could give me a call. The guy is a junker it sounds like looks for things to sell on craigslist and what not. He gives me a call a couple of weeks ago. This is what he has.

Kettle has a lot of dings and scratches. It's rough but it is yellow... I offered him 100 bucks. I thought that was fair considering the condition of the kettle. Well about 10 minutes later he comes back with it's a rare Simpson addition kettle! Politely explain to him that it wasn't but he ended up finding the eBay auction from a couple of months ago from that yellow that just went bananas and didn't sell for like $900. I explained to him that that was a beautiful kettle and an anomaly. He agreed to meet me and agreed to 100 bucks but then called it off a few hours later. I sent him the sixzerofour  auction listing from a few days ago that ended at like 227 in an attempt to prove to him that it wasn't worth quite what he thought it was. Now he says he's got somebody on the line for big bucks. I'm just curious do you fellas think I lowballed him? What would y'all pay for a kettle in this condition? Thanks for looking

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Yellow 22 questions input needed from fellow grillfellas
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:47:48 AM »
Sorry that the seller is playing you. I think that kettle is worth more than your offer of $100.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:53:09 AM »

Sorry that the seller is playing you. I think that kettle is worth more than your offer of $100.

If it's you what would you be willing to pay for it? Thanks for your input gummi

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 06:23:19 AM »
I try not to place a specific $$$ value on grills as it rubs people the wrong way. However, enough yellow kettles have sold publicly that I am comfortable saying that this grill as-is is worth $2-250+. The value will vary on the specific condition of the parts I don't see but that kettle looks pretty clean to me with no major dings in the middle of the lid or bowl. The location, willingness to ship, how good the person is at cleaning/marketing their kettle, and season will also play a factor. That $900 yellow was an anomaly.

The "what is my yellow worth?" topic pops up every once in a while so I'd check them out if you haven't already. This thread has a pretty good discussion: weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/how-much-would-you-pay-for-a-yellow/ Good luck.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 06:29:23 AM »
Bottom line is if you want it be willing to pay top dollar and go get it. For me $250-$300 is way out of our budget now but for some it's nothing for a priceless kettle that you can't get at Home Depot. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 06:56:19 AM »
$200-$250 is plenty reasonable for you both. It's pretty much pure profit for the junkman. He gets them for free & can get $1.50(ish) for scrapping. Be willing to give him $5-$10 for parts kettles, so he won't gouge you on the nice ones. Maybe that kind of deal would help.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Yellow 22 questions input needed from fellow grillfellas
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »
One thing I've learned here is that kettles come and go. Rare? Yes, not a black, not a plainsman either. What does your area offer? It might be good to keep him in your pocket for future deals or politely say no Thankyou.
For me a hundred is fair, but that's me and my budget.
All comes down to what you want. Good luck man.
If it was a plainsman though....

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:54:40 AM by Travis »

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:40:05 AM »
Worked out a deal with him. I'm going to pay the $200. Decent yellows don't show up around these parts very often.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:55:00 AM »
That is so awesome man!!! Congrats!!!!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 11:02:15 AM »
I'm glad you were able to work it out with him. Someone send this man a period correct wheel!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
Damn! I still cant get over it. Totally worth sleeping on the couch.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
Worked out a deal with him. I'm going to pay the $200. Decent yellows don't show up around these parts very often.

Congratulations @weldboy. The porcelain on that yellow appears to be in really nice condition.  IMHO it was worth $200.  Wait till she turns orange for you.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
Good move! It's glorious.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
Thanks fellas!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
Nice!!! Turning out to be a great birthday, huh, @weldboy?  Yellow and Ivory in the same day?!?