Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 5154 times)

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Cleaning
« on: October 25, 2016, 03:19:13 AM »
Hey guys , I cook on my 22 kettle 3-4 times a week . How often should I clean it from the grease and smoke buildup ? Is a good clean up with oven cleaner a good idea ?Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Re: Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:37:12 AM »
An area that ought to be cleaned once a week or two if you're using it that much are the bowl and ash sweeps so they ash sweeps don't get too crudded up and can travel freely along the bottom.  They can get bent up if too much hardened crud builds up on the bottom.

Hell no to oven cleaner.  No need.  I like simple dish soap, water, a razor scraper and some extra fine steel wool (as recommended here by many grillfella)
Here's your guide-
http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:38:45 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 03:47:35 AM »
I gave the inside of my bowl and lid a scrape for the first time since buying new in 08. So once every 8 or 9 years should do it. [emoji3][emoji481]

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 04:02:44 AM »
An area that ought to be cleaned once a week or two if you're using it that much are the bowl and ash sweeps so they ash sweeps don't get too crudded up and can travel freely along the bottom.  They can get bent up if too much hardened crud builds up on the bottom.

Hell no to oven cleaner.  No need.  I like simple dish soap, water, a razor scraper and some extra fine steel wool (as recommended here by many grillfella)
Here's your guide-
http://weberkettleclub.com/weber-grill-restoration-interior-and-exterior-kettle-cleaning/
Thanks for the info , really appreciate it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:04:41 AM »
I gave the inside of my bowl and lid a scrape for the first time since buying new in 08. So once every 8 or 9 years should do it. [emoji3][emoji481]

[emoji23]. I think the build up is like battle scars. You sir have a well seasoned grill.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 05:30:55 AM »
I made a wooden scraper that I use for light maintenance, just before the muck is about to flare up.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:40:03 AM »
I made a wooden scraper that I use for light maintenance, just before the muck is about to flare up.

Great idea thanks !

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
Everything above is good advice.  As far as the lid goes, I would just leave that.  It helps the lid seal to the kettle better.  Every once in a while when the carbon starts peeling off, just go over it lightly with a scraper or razor blade to get the loose stuff so it doesn't fall onto your food, but there is no good reason to work your butt off to get the tough stuff out of the lid.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
Everything above is good advice.  As far as the lid goes, I would just leave that.  It helps the lid seal to the kettle better.  Every once in a while when the carbon starts peeling off, just go over it lightly with a scraper or razor blade to get the loose stuff so it doesn't fall onto your food, but there is no good reason to work your butt off to get the tough stuff out of the lid.
Thanks for the advice !

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:17:56 PM »

Ditto!  Sometime I warm up the kettle and then with a paper towl knock off the loose stuff inside the lid.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:20:54 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

oil99

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »
Rarely clean my kettles or kamodos but if you are worried about the loose stuff a big ball of foil makes a good scraper.
Using Tapatalk

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »
Love me some oven cleaner :)

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
Dump a crapload of charcoal in there & burn the crap out of it.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 07:28:02 PM »

Dump a crapload of charcoal in there & burn the crap out of it.

I like this. Burn a lot of lump and get it real hot. Let it cool and start with a fresh razor blade. I'm planning on cleaning my grills before winter. Gonna be a long weekend.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
No, just burn the crap out of it, that's it.