Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help, tips, anything that may help__ It Worked Updated 10_10_16  (Read 1902 times)

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Help, tips, anything that may help__ It Worked Updated 10_10_16
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »
Going to be doing a pork shoulder any tips? It's about 9lbs and I need it done by Sunday 11am. Anything will help.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:41:57 PM by Shoestringshop »
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Help, tips, anything that may help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 02:14:18 PM »
I'm no expert but I'll tell you what I do in that situation. I put it in the kettle around 9pm the night before and let it get 4-5 hours of smoke. I take it off the grill and wrap it up and put in a roaster pan and put it in the oven at 225 and go to bed. Next morning pull it out and let rest for an hour covered than you can start pulling apart.  After I pull apart I warm up finishing sauce made of cider vinegar, brown sugar, and Cajun seasoning and red pepper flake. Add a little water to dilute the vinegar a little. Pour over pulled pork and it adds a ton of great flavor without anyone knowing you added anything. The vinegar further tenderizes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Help, tips, anything that may help
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 02:15:44 PM »
I warm my favorite BBQ sauce up and serve on the side so people have the option.

I don't even bother with any thermometers anymore. I've done it so many times that I know exactly how it will turn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:17:34 PM by HoosierKettle »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »
Are you wanting to do it overnight? If so, I'd have it on by 9pm Saturday night. It's going to be down in the 40's and 50's here in Central Il. Depending on what your cooking it on, might want to give it more or less time. Will the dual OTP be fired for this party??

Once for my daughters bday, I did two the day before the party on my drum smoker (uds). When done, I wrapped them in a towel and into a warm cooler for a couple hours. Refrigerated and reheated them in the oven the next day before the party. I pulled them the next day. They were just fine. I would consider that just for the sleep factor. Doing them overnight for the "freshest" end product is good, but I'm  whooped by the time the party starts.... and drunk [emoji43]

Looking forward to some other responses with this topic. I know you'll get a ton of great pics and it'll turn out perfect. Have fun brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 03:09:03 PM »
I did two the day before the party on my drum smoker (uds). When done, I wrapped them in a towel and into a warm cooler for a couple hours. Refrigerated and reheated them in the oven the next day before the party. I pulled them the next day. They were just fine.

Not sure what else you have going on, but this would be my approach to have a guaranteed "done" pork shoulder, without the stress.  8)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
I would cook the day before, don't pull them till day of or just break into decent sized chunks. If you have a foodsaver, vacuum seal them with all their juices then throw the bags in boiling water to get them back up to temp. Cut them open and shred them up. Add some finishing sauce if it needs it. You can also just use ziplock bags if you don't want to get fancy.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 07:39:15 AM »
Thanks guys! I plan on cooking overnight on the custom dual otp. It ended up being only a 6.5 lb so we will see how long it will take. Very small pork. And I'm not to happy about it.

My wife remindeed me... we are also making 12lbs of wings, sausage, tater skins, deviled eggs, dips and abts. So it's all  appetizers. So it should work just fine.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 08:24:33 AM »
Ok. That's a lot of sides! And smokin on the dual?! I'm about 7 hrs. south of ya, Shoestring. I'll be there in 5, beer in hand!! [emoji482]

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »
@Travis sounds good!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
Re: Help, tips, anything that may help__ It Worked Up Dated 10_10_16
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »
Well all was well! We had a 6.5lb pork shoulder and with the additional 12lbs of wings and 24 tater skins and 40plus ABT’s we ended up all good! Oh and to top it off I tossed a SPAM on the grill! That’s when I lost EVERYONE! Until they tried it!

I had everyone going “WHY OH WHY DID YOU TOSS THAT ON THE GRILL!” I said just try it trust me ;-)
So this is the cook for Sunday Game!

Pork Shoulder On The Grill With The Smokenator This is Saturday 5PM Grill @ 250 Degrees . On The Grill For About 10 Hours Or So With A Stall @ Around 1:AM ! Way To Intoxxxxxikat… InToxika… Drunk. To Take A Picture At That Time

Reheating In The Morning

Done

Buns I Told People Pulled Pork Sliders So How About Buns???? I Got It White Castle! Went To White Castle And Bought 2 Dozen Buns

Now I Really Did Try To Fix The Pictures But Being White Castle And Photobucket Not Working Kind Of Works For The Two Pictures   

Taters On the Grill To Start

All Taters On The Grill

Wings Left Side Of Dual OTP

Wings Right Side Dual OTP

Finished Wings And Taters

ABT’s I KNOW,  I KNOW If No Pictures It Didn’t Happen But It Did! I’m Cooking Swatting People Away From The Food So I Can Take A Picture. But Please Understand 4 Teenage Boys That All Play Football Wanted Them! If I Would Have Tried To Stop Them I Would Not Be Telling All Of You About This Weekend.

Now The Dessert LMAO SPAM

Thanks all for the support!!!
Pork Shoulder Turned Out GREAT!!!

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Help, tips, anything that may help__ It Worked Updated 10_10_16
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
Wow! looks like you were busy. Looks great and delicious.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
To answer a few questions...

@Hoosier - I did start early like you said I should

@Travis - I Started around 6PM on the "Copper" and used The "Red 22", "Red 18", "Dual OTP" so only 5 grills! People kept asking me how do you know what's under what? I just said you just know! They would walk away and I say "Where the hell are the Turds?" LOL

@Jason - I did have a lot going on, but got it all done but 1/2 time!

@iCARRY - I wrapped and put the pork into the frig. Then in the morning took out and placed into the "Copper" to reheat for about 2hours with a water pan and heat no smoke at this time. No need for smoke had a nice bark on it!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
Wow! looks like you were busy. Looks great and delicious.

@Darko   Thanks I was and I am still tired!!! LOL ;D

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
That's a way to do a cook out! Absolutely awesome job, @Shoestringshop! 👏👏

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 03:03:29 PM »
Awesome job. Those taters look great c