Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I just don't care for bbq  (Read 9047 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: I just don't care for bbq
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 01:09:42 PM »
OK, I remember as a kid my dad used GASOLINE. Crazy bastard! He would pile the Kingsford, the reason I use it to this day, and he had this little squeeze bottle that he would keep a little gas in. He would squirt some on the pile and I was the one who, when I was older, got to light it! I would stand about 2 feet back and flick the match into the grill. WHOOOSH, that sombitch was LIT and HOT! Probably wasnt good for us but like I just read, IT WAS MADE BY DAD and thats how he done it!! Thankfully the gasoline thing didn't stay with me as a practice...good times though!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »
Kind of why I buy and drive Chevy's. dad did when he was with us so I do now. I get it.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2016, 06:30:17 PM »
There are times I like using lighter fluid.  It still smells like BBQ.  You know, 3 briquettes piled up with a squirt of fluid then a chimney on top still smells friggin great.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »
To squirt, or not to squirt. That is the question.
Still need a 22” yellow

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 12:48:35 AM »
My Dad made his own chimney starter, with a Folgers can and a wire weave to prop up the coals a few inches off the bottom. Holes for ventilation in the Folger's can made with a church key. He lit 'em  with newspaper balled up in the bottom. In the '60s. The late '60s, I'm not that old.

He was pretty proud of it, apparently it wasn't the norm. He did it because lighter fluid tastes like shit.

I have followed this course.

Now, who knows church key? And who cooks with a Folger's can worth of charcoal?

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 07:27:55 AM »
I have two church keys-use them to punch extra holes on can tops for beer can chicken.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 04:41:46 AM »
My Dad made his own chimney starter, with a Folgers can and a wire weave to prop up the coals a few inches off the bottom. Holes for ventilation in the Folger's can made with a church key. He lit 'em  with newspaper balled up in the bottom. In the '60s. The late '60s, I'm not that old.

He was pretty proud of it, apparently it wasn't the norm. He did it because lighter fluid tastes like shit.

I have a church key to this day!!!  I use a 1 pound Folgers can to space my Minion in the WSM.  I put the can upside down in the middle, pour in the stubbs.  Then I fill the Can with unlit, pour that in the chimney and start it up on the SSP. 

So... I do know what a church key is and I have done the Folgers can chimney.  Does that count?   8)

J
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2016, 04:04:41 PM »
I was able to convert my dad and brothers to a charcoal chimney. That's all they use now.

How about you guys with the performers?  Do you use the gas feature or do you start with a chimney?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

After a while of kettle collecting you'll end up with several chimneys. I modded this one for my performer by cutting the bottom section off with some tin snips. Brings the coal closer to the fire.. seems to work a little faster.

Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »

My Dad did this same thing back in the sixtys. He was ahead of his time he also rescued old webers from the trash trucks.
Always taking different ways home to see what he could find.
Always had several in the back tard and he was eager to share them with who ever needed one. Got us all started out right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:10 PM »
all this chimney and lighter fluid talk reminds me of a camping story from years ago.  I was trying to fire up the smokey joe and forgot the chimney and had no lighter fluid.  I ended up soaking a paper towel in cooking oil and put it and a dry paper towel at the bottom of a small pile of coals and drizzled a little more cooking oil on the coal.  Worked really well in a pinch.  Since then, I've always used cooking oil or left over bacon grease to aid in starting the camp fire as well.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 03:11:29 PM »
all this chimney and lighter fluid talk reminds me of a camping story from years ago.  I was trying to fire up the smokey joe and forgot the chimney and had no lighter fluid.  I ended up soaking a paper towel in cooking oil and put it and a dry paper towel at the bottom of a small pile of coals and drizzled a little more cooking oil on the coal.  Worked really well in a pinch.  Since then, I've always used cooking oil or left over bacon grease to aid in starting the camp fire as well.
Absolutely! When my family goes camping, that's what I use for starting coals. Paper towel with a little veggie oil on it. Works beautifully!
Anyone ever use Frito's? The corn chips. Pile some up with kindling around and you got a campfire going! The oil in the chips work wonders for ignition.
Dude, so glad you brought that up! Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
That's so sad. People like that are missing so much. I feel bad for them. Weber's come with pretty decent instructions but not all bother to read. And they're so easy to use correctly!

I put something together to help with something like that. A friend said he could never make ribs like mine. I disagreed and put together some instructions on how to do this. http://smpoke-on.blogspot.com/2016/10/ribs-on-kettle.html

Feel free to review and criticize. Just remember:
  • This is not aimed at you.
  • I don't claim that this is the only way to make ribs. It is the way I (mostly) smoke mine.
  • I don't claim to be the best at smoking ribs. I'm sure there are better.

If you think there are ways to tweak these instructions to make someone more likely to succeed, speak up! (Yes, I know it could use pictures. ;) )
kettles, smokers...