Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I just don't care for bbq  (Read 9028 times)

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
Re: I just don't care for bbq
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »

Awesome story!

I watched a guy using one of those braziers they mount on permanent poles in public parks douse the coals with fluid, light it, douse it again, light it, douse it again, etc. and then finally yell at his wife "Hurry up with the burgers - the flame keeps going out!!"

That made me laugh out loud!  Very funny.
Whenever my parents' backyard neighbor would light his grill it would be a must see event for the entire family. He would use the old metal cans and dump half of it on the charcoal.  The flames would be three feet high or more. Surprised his house never started on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 01:21:17 PM »
I bought a 26' to leave at parent's house last year for larger cooks when everybody is there on the weekends. Up until recently, my Dad would buy the "burn in bag" charcoal in just the light the whole thing when my brothers or I weren't there.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »
This thread reminds me of the old Eddie Murphy bit - "Now THAT'S a fire!!!!!"
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Cellar2ful

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »

This guy was next to us at the last Good Guys show. Made for a great photo but I bet the food had to be tainted with a slight lighter fluid smell and taste.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
I remember that pick @Cellar2ful. That's almost exactly what is was. Scary!!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
Just start taking shots of the lighter fluid till you pass out.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 07:10:51 PM »
Good grief.  I can fully understand people getting put off barbecue, or charcoal barbecue specifically, when things like this happen.  All it can take is one or two really bad experiences with something to sour someone for good on it.  I'm thinking of that Pentax K1000 camera with the broken light meter in high school that screwed me on the photography segment of this communications technology class I was taking. At the time, I didn't have the experience to shoot film under varying lighting conditions without a meter and I was also not familiar with Tri X either so I was depending on that meter.  I ended up with really horrible thin negatives that were about as thin as the grade I got on that assignment.  I've never touched a Pentax since and been quite happy with my Canon and Bronica gear, even though now I understand it wasn't the fault of the camera per-se but a bad situation created by unmaintained junk Toronto Board of Education equipment. I'm sure there are people out there who've had a similarly spectacularly bad meal or two cooked over lighter fluid that won't ever consider eating food from a charcoal barbecue or cooking on one.  That's unfortunate.

Come to think of it, one of my first experiences with a charcoal barbecue was at summer camp when I was a little kid.  They made a huge pot of baked beans for lunch for everybody and cooked it on a charcoal hibachi. It took forever to get the coals going and took forever to heat up this massive pot of beans and everyone was starving by the time it was ready.  Talk about the wrong took for the wrong job...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 06:33:03 AM »
OMG... My Dad. He could not live without lighter fluid. He had me doing the same damn thing, until one day I realized there's a better way! I tried to show him, butt he went to his grave with lighter fluid...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 12:03:46 PM »
I was able to convert my dad and brothers to a charcoal chimney. That's all they use now.

How about you guys with the performers?  Do you use the gas feature or do you start with a chimney?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 01:50:43 PM »
Both.  Load the chimney, set it over the burner in the performer and FLAME ON.

Only times are I don't use a chimney with the performer are if I am using the vortex or the charcoal bins.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 02:22:18 PM »
Chimney over the burner. Sometimes I just use a Weber fire starter cube.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »
@Travis should have had them over for dinner the next night.
Still need a 22” yellow

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2016, 08:52:38 AM »
Some kinds of stupid not only cannot but will not be fixed. Trying to fix it is futile.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »
When I was a kid, we'd go upstate NY to an undeveloped plot of land my grandparents owned for a "picnic day". I'd watch my dad and uncle alternate between downing bourbon and squirting lighter fluid onto an already raging inferno, tossing burgers and hot dogs onto the grill and charring the shit out of dinner for all!
Ya' know what,,,, it was always one of the best dinners we had!!!! My DAD and his brother made it!!!! We didn't know anything else! But, we knew the whole family was together, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins (living and past) we would laugh, run around, take target practice with a .22 rifle, toss a football and listen to stories we've heard 100 times before  around a campfire before a long drive home.
And I'll bet that the family of your campmate feel the same way about their meals last week because dad made it.
Just sayin'.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »
When I was a kid, we'd go upstate NY to an undeveloped plot of land my grandparents owned for a "picnic day". I'd watch my dad and uncle alternate between downing bourbon and squirting lighter fluid onto an already raging inferno, tossing burgers and hot dogs onto the grill and charring the shit out of dinner for all!
Ya' know what,,,, it was always one of the best dinners we had!!!! My DAD and his brother made it!!!! We didn't know anything else! But, we knew the whole family was together, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins (living and past) we would laugh, run around, take target practice with a .22 rifle, toss a football and listen to stories we've heard 100 times before  around a campfire before a long drive home.
And I'll bet that the family of your campmate feel the same way about their meals last week because dad made it.
Just sayin'.
Can't argue with that, for damn sure! Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk