Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I just don't care for bbq  (Read 9029 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
I just don't care for bbq
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:23:15 AM »
My family just got back from camping up at the state park. Beautiful weather, picking apples at the local orchard, bonfires and cook outs. The campground was full for the weekend and I had packed up our 77 faded black for the trip.

One couple behind us pulls in and we introduce ourselves. I noticed he has a Wally World smokey joe size no name. Whatever. I don't hate, but then I see the infamous match light charcoal...

I watch this man (from the safety off my camper) dump half a bag in this little thing, spray it down even more with lighter fluid and before the coals are even start to ash over, throw on them pork steaks and brats. Not an inch of room left on the grate surface and as the grate went on so did the lid. I just cringed.

A little while later I notice the lid and grate with the food still on it sitting on the picnic table and the rest of the bag, including the bag, thrown on the grill. Again, once flames were shooting out the top, food on and lid on.

I thought about saying something but decided not to. I told my wife I now know the reason some people say, "I just don't really care for bbq."

Everyone should learn how to cook. Especially men and especially fathers. I felt bad for this dude, but I sure wasn't going to possibly offend this man infront of his wife while they were trying to enjoy their weekend so I let it be. It made me appreciate this site, all us grillfella's, and our good sense of what to cook on even better.

Take care boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j05hua

• Smokey Joe
Re: I just don't care for bbq
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
Hahahhahahahahha

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Joshua
the smoking mormon

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
Maybe he likes it that way.  Bless his heart.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »
How do you not get sick from that? I could not imagine that! I'm sick just reading about it.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
I have to admit, I was doing that type of cooking about 4-5 years ago. Chicken always came out undercooked and anything beef or pork related would be waaaay dried out.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »
The poor fella gotta start somewhere. In about 10 years he could be a nationally known pitmaster!

If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »
The poor fella gotta start somewhere. In about 10 years he could be a nationally known pitmaster!

That's right, BB! I told my wife that he should join a bbq forum and that would benefit him greatly. I know it has for me!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 02:18:16 PM »
It's really the stereotype of charcoal grilling. I didn't know any better years ago. That grill I'm trying to trade from the inlaws? I told the wife 8 years ago that charcoal sucks. It's messy, hard to light and control temp and gets ash all over your food. I didn't know any better and I bet if I started using it I would have been soaking match light coals with lighter fluid also. I'm glad time passed, I did some homework, landed here and started learning to TRULY grill and BBQ with a Weber performer.  I am grateful for this club, the fine members we have, and the knowledge we freely share with each other. Had it been me I would have probably mentioned the WKC and just said check it out for some great tips and tricks. Hoping the guy would learn to stop eating lighter fluid induced food.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
I just don't care for bbq
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »
Had it been me I would have probably mentioned the WKC and just said check it out for some great tips and tricks.

You're right! That would have been a good way to help. It was hard to stomach it. I will definitely keep that in mind next time.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:48:49 PM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 02:09:22 AM »
I don't bring any of my grills or charcoal along camping.  I use an old tripod that I've had forever and cook over the open fire.  I also use a coleman stove.  I do this mainly to save room on the trip so I don't have to lug along a grill but I like to change it up when camping and utilize the fire as much as possible.  Also use the pie irons and wienie forks.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 02:14:10 AM »
Oh, and you did the right thing by not saying anything.  After all, I know I've learned the most from my previous failings. 

msuiceman

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 05:05:00 AM »
poor guy, even when I was a kid and my father used lighter fluid... at least he was smart enough to let it burn a long, long time before putting food on it.

I really wish they'd stop selling lighter fluid. a chimney is easier to use anyways.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 06:14:54 AM »
MY girlfriend's grandparent's have a lake house and they obviously let anyone in the family use it.  We got her grandpa a brand new weber for Christmas last year since his at the lake house was almost falling apart.  We even regularly bring up bags of lump charcoal, a chimney starter, and lighter cubes for anyone to use.  Last time we were up there I went to go cook on it and as soon as I took the lid off I was like WTF is that smell.  There was still a bunch of unburnt/lit briquettes in there.  Turns out one of her aunt's family is the exact same way.  They brought bags of the match light stuff and just dosed it all in gallons of lighter fluid.  You would think people would notice their food had weird taste/smell to it. 

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »

MY girlfriend's grandparent's have a lake house and they obviously let anyone in the family use it.  We got her grandpa a brand new weber for Christmas last year since his at the lake house was almost falling apart.  We even regularly bring up bags of lump charcoal, a chimney starter, and lighter cubes for anyone to use.  Last time we were up there I went to go cook on it and as soon as I took the lid off I was like WTF is that smell.  There was still a bunch of unburnt/lit briquettes in there.  Turns out one of her aunt's family is the exact same way.  They brought bags of the match light stuff and just dosed it all in gallons of lighter fluid.  You would think people would notice their food had weird taste/smell to it.
That's nice of you.   Leave friendly instructions on how to properly light and maintain charcoal.  I'm sure future users would appreciate it. 

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Awesome story!

I watched a guy using one of those braziers they mount on permanent poles in public parks douse the coals with fluid, light it, douse it again, light it, douse it again, etc. and then finally yell at his wife "Hurry up with the burgers - the flame keeps going out!!"
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown