Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Staining KettlePizza handles  (Read 2348 times)

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
Staining KettlePizza handles
« on: September 27, 2016, 02:32:49 PM »
Folks,

What do you use to stain the KettlePizza handles? I just wanted to stain them with something that is non-toxic and is fairly easy to apply. Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Staining KettlePizza handles
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
I stained mine with my charcoal stained hands. Just stick your hands in a bag of lump charcoal then grab the handles of the KP. This is the easy way to stain the handles. Jk ::)

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:44 AM »
I personally wouldn't worry too much about the stain being non toxic as long as it is dry and sealed.  I say this because you are probably not using the handles to actually prepare or cook a pizza while using your KP.  The handles don't come in contact with food.  I kind of doubt the stains used on dining room tables and kitchen cabinets are non toxic, at least not when applied.  Same with the sealers used.  A pizza peel, bbq tool handles or the work table on a performer would be another story.  What does @zavod44 use to stain and seal the awesome kettle handles he makes?

Anyways, I used this stuff on my butcher block top kitchen island with good results:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VITOT4/ref=pd_sim_60_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SZ4NXXKCCG60Z9VT5GY0
It's not the same stuff you would use on a cutting board, but is food safe when dry.  Also, it doesn't really "stain" the wood, just seals it.

hope this helps

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 08:05:18 AM »
I use spar varnish, that's designed to be outside....

Sent from my Moto Z force Droid

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 09:59:15 AM »
I stained mine with San Marzano tomatoes.  Keeping with the pizza theme!  ::)  ;)  ;D
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »
Initially ….

I stained mine with my charcoal stained hands.

However, I didn't like how it looked over time.  I light sanding, then used whatever stain I had on hand … It doesn't require much.
Then finished it with a couple three coats of spar varnish satin finish.  Looks good, now.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »
Anyways, I used this stuff on my butcher block top kitchen island with good results:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VITOT4/ref=pd_sim_60_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SZ4NXXKCCG60Z9VT5GY0
It's not the same stuff you would use on a cutting board, but is food safe when dry.  Also, it doesn't really "stain" the wood, just seals it.

hope this helps
Perfect .. I can get this locally at Lowes for $12 ... Thank you so much for your suggestion!