Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Raw smokewood  (Read 1738 times)

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Raw smokewood
« on: September 24, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »
Nice cherry limbs about 3" diameter from North Carolina. Will cut into 1" discs. Should make some very consistent smokewood. Should I leave the bark on?
Retired

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Raw smokewood
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
Absolutely. That bark won't affect anything. That ought to give ya some nice smoke wood for some time.

Do you add wood to all cooks or just when smoking? I always throw some on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:33:11 AM »
I do the same as you with the disks and never remove the bark.

The bark on cherry wood is kinda tough and stringy, in bands that go around the wood. Which can make the wood a bit difficult to split, especially in rounds bucked for firewood.

When I buck cherry wood I always score the bark from one end to the other, and split it at the score. It'll split easily that way.

We get a lot of wild cherry that grows from suckers and they make great smokewood. Its one of my favorite smoke woods because its easy to get and adds a nice flavor and color to whatever you cook or smoke with it. When I burn it in the stove my neighbor asks what I'm cooking.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »
Definitely leave the bark on but let the wood dry out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »
Forget where I heard it but I thought the bark left a bitter taste. I've been using my pocket knife and taking it off. I'll try with it on next time and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
I typically leave the bark on, unless it's nasty looking. I was to the National Restaurant Association convention last year and went to a demonstration put on by "celebrity"(??) chef/scientist (whose name escapes me atm) Matt Burton... He always debarks, due to the bitter taste that @kettlebb  referenced, and the fact that you don't know what kind of bugs, mold, dirt, etc could be in the bark.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:47:39 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
Should I leave the bark on?

Ya, for sure.  It is very thin and stringy, as mentioned above …. similar to birch wood.
I have plenty of cherry that I harvested myself, and I tried to keep the bark on all of it … some peeled off.

When it comes to smoking, it's amazing all on its own, and even better when mixed with apple wood.  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.