Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: D.C. New Guy  (Read 23927 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
Re: D.C. New Guy
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 09:23:53 AM »
Hello and welcome here.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 10:43:30 AM »
Welcome to the madness.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 09:02:54 PM »
Did my first mod today.

I don't think heat will be a problem. But if it is then I'll add a stainless rod to push the handle out a bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 02:28:06 AM »
Welcome from canada, nice smokey!!

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2016, 09:33:28 AM »
First cook with my Lil Smokey,

I live in an apartment so I need to travel to the picnic area, it's about 100yds.

Using the chimney

Too hot for the screwdriver handle, removed it for the rest of the cook.  I added an extension later.

Steak was cooked to medium which is too far me but I'll work on it, medium rare lover here. Potatoes didn't cook all the way. I need to add them sooner and let them cook for a lot longer. Steak and asparagus cooked well together. I left half an onion on the grill to give a little onion flavor.

Next time I'll find the hot spot sooner, sear the steak for 10 sec each side then put on the cool side to finish cooking.

I added the extension using a repurposed cocktail spoon. All set for now I hope.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:39:21 AM by eLLWOODgGLEN »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2016, 02:09:00 PM »
looking good, just need to get the sear down.  A friend of mine loves onion on the grill.  I can't remember exactly but I think he wraps them up foil but puts butter and worcestershire in.  Haven't tried it but yet but been meaning to.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 03:02:53 PM »
@eLLWOODgGLEN- The lack of grill marks on your meat could be due to not heating your grill prior to cooking. When your coals are hot and you dump them in the kettle, do you immediately put your meat on the cooking grate? If so, next time dump your coals, put your cooking grate and lid on and let them heat up for 10 minutes prior to putting your meat on.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 05:06:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

Coals were in for 10 minutes but I was also too eager to cook.  I didn't find a true hot spot to sear properly due to wind and vent placement. Next time I'll stack the charcoal better and find a true hot spot.

Theo Bedania

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2016, 05:20:48 PM »
Thank you for your service.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2016, 06:13:05 PM »
Does a charcoal basket fit in the SJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2016, 12:40:09 PM »
Does a charcoal basket fit in the SJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Not that I'm aware of. I'll be making one myself either from scratch or with repurposed materials. Eventually.

In other news, I ordered the 2 piece cast iron grate. Looking forward to having that to help with making Joe 100% self contained ready for transport.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »
Maybe one or two of the older charcoal "fences" could fit/work ???   Some of us use firebricks to coral the coals from time to time :)
SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »
Well I ordered the lid support and lock hardware as well as the bolt kit; they came in today but, I found something.

This has been tucked into a corner closet of my Barracks for 3 years. I saw it when I first got there and forgot about it until I stumbled onto it today.

Abandoned with bent legs and lid lock bar and also missing both vents; I have adopted this poor Weber. I should have taken a before  picture but, it was rough and dirty. Straightened the legs and the lid lock, added my new vents, and lid support and he is looking good.

Now it don't think I need to drill into my Copper kettle bottom to add the carry handle.

Decisions...decisions...

My cast iron grates should be in by tonight... hopefully.... FedEx sucks lately.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2016, 04:04:09 PM »
Modded my Copper Joe,

Waiting on my grates!!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2016, 04:49:36 AM »
Cool, your adopted SJ is the gold version with the vents on the side.  I picked one up this week too and will give it to my buddy.
From where did you order cast iron grates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk