Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calzone experiment  (Read 3112 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Calzone experiment
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:54:55 AM »
Wanted to try making a calzone.  Basically it is a folded over pizza.  Some call them Stromboli.  It seems it depends on where you are from.  I used the same ingredients form my last pizza cook and just folded them inside a small piece of pizza dough.  Brushed on some egg wash to try to brown the top.  Used the same cooking set up and put my calzone on a baking sheet.  Turned out ok.  The top did not brown like I wanted it to.  It did turn out crispy.  Looked nice when I cut it open and it tasted great!  Just pick up and eat.  Had some extra sauce for dipping.  All in all not bad.  It was a learning experience.

OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Calzone experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »
Looks good from here, Dave! How would you brown the top more? Looks like a fun cook anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
Don't put sauce in it, that will help get the dough cooked better. I find that the sauce may steam up too much and cause a collapse as you have there. Sauce should be on the side for dipping. Worse case you have to make more! We are making Calzones this weekend, I'll try to post a picture here so you can check it out. I hope mine turn out well now that I shot my mouth off.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:37:37 AM »
Right. All the calzones I've ordered have the sauce on the side and I always have to ask for extra. I like me some red sauce.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:22:40 AM »
Don't put sauce in it, that will help get the dough cooked better. I find that the sauce may steam up too much and cause a collapse as you have there. Sauce should be on the side for dipping. Worse case you have to make more! We are making Calzones this weekend, I'll try to post a picture here so you can check it out. I hope mine turn out well now that I shot my mouth off.

That is a good point.  You and @kettlebb are right.  Now I remember that there is very little or no sauce.  It's a learning experience and I will do some tweaking. 
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 05:35:07 AM »
Great use of the baskets... I will have to try that instead of the fire bricks to support the stone / pan.

Looks mighty tasty!!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

EucTruck

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 06:01:42 AM »
I have 2 Pizza peels, so when i make a calzone, i flip it halfway thru (take off with one peel, lay second on top, twist) that way it's supported the whole time and i get brown on both sides.

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »
Our calzones turned out great. Sauce on the side is the way to go.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 08:26:08 AM »
Looks pretty good.  I've been thinking about doing this, so this post gave me some great info (no sauce) to save me at least one of the learning steps on my first attempt!  Thanks Dave!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!