Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza on a WSM instead of Performer  (Read 1670 times)

G19

• WKC Brave
Pizza on a WSM instead of Performer
« on: August 28, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
So we are moving in a few weeks so just doing research right now.  I have been making pizza in my Performer with darn good results.  Only thing I have been doing is raising the stone about the grate.  I do plan on purchasing a Pizza Que but I got to thinking about another option - what about putting the Pizza Que on my WSM with the charcoal raised up to the lower level just below the top grate.  I ask this because I hear about the rollers melting on the Performers.  Problem is maybe that my WSM is the 18" model, is that too small for the fire to get around the stone?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pizza on a WSM instead of Performer
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
Here's what I'd do if you don't have the pizza que yet. Build a fire on the charcoal grate with wood splits and leave the access panel off.. Put the stone on the grate at the highest level and prop the lid at an angle like the pizza que.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »
Here's what I'd do if you don't have the pizza que yet. Build a fire on the charcoal grate with wood splits and leave the access panel off.. Put the stone on the grate at the highest level and prop the lid at an angle like the pizza que.
Your are talking the WSM here and the charcoal on the lower cooking level?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »
That's a big 10-4 @G19. Took a quick pic of my 18" on how I'd set it up. Of course with out the water pan and maybe something other than a paver to hole the lid up. Just build a camp fire on the charcoal grate. This is how my 1st test/try would be.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
If you have an 18" kettle, i'dprobably use that as the lid since it would create a lower ceiling.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:25:51 AM by Nate »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
While you could cook a pizza on a WSM, the kettle would out-perform it for the simple fact that you can get the fire closer to the pie to mimic a purpose-built pizza oven.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 03:21:48 PM »
Thanks guys.