Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex wings  (Read 7055 times)

NewGuy16

• Smokey Joe
Vortex wings
« on: August 25, 2016, 04:11:20 AM »
I know a thread is useless without oics and I apologize in advance.  I am a first time kettle owner, first charcoal grill altogether.  My wife kept after me to get a charcoal grill and Walmrt made it hard to refuse so I took the leap.  I also ordered a Vortex becuse I was hooing to make some awesome wings on my new Kettle without having to fry them.  OMG what a treat they were.  I had pumped up the family wih super hih expectations and was hoping the Vortex would allow me to deliver.  They were incredible looking as I took them off the grill.  I wish I had snapped a Pic or tow but I did not.  They tasted great.  The skin was nice and. Crispy, just as we like them.  Two meals on my kettle so far and I'm a very happy owner.  Grilled a venison bottom round roast for finstance meal.  I can't wait to fire up the kettle again :)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Vortex wings
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 05:19:59 AM »
Sounds good bud. Try downloading weber kettle club app or tapatalk. You can upload pics from your phone with these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:14 AM »
Vortex wings are AWESOME!!!!!  The next time you make a batch, toss a few of them in flour and see how you like it that way.  I flour all of my wings now.  The latest thing I have been seeing is people doing beer battered chicken with the vortex.  I haven't tried it yet, but the results I've seen from others looks delicious!  Welcome to charcoal grilling and the wonderful world of Weber!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:43 PM »
Yep, you're hooked.  Vortex wings are awesome.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 03:29:35 PM »
Try the spicy breaded ranch chicken wing recipe posted here (https://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/spicy-ranch-chicken-wings/)  on the Vortex .. amazing!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »
Another thing to try if you are dusting the wings in flour to crisp them. Add a teaspoon of baking soda per cup to the flour to raise the pH of the flour a bit. The higher pH helps with browning.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:28:11 AM »
I've been cooking wings for a few years on the weber.  I've done it 2 ways:  Direct heat with vents half open the first half hour to bring them up to temp, then I take the lid off and have to turn them in the flames to crisp them up.  This way turns out great wings but is labor intensive and usually results in a few casualties either not crisp enough or burnt.  I've also banked my coals to the sides and placed the wings in the middle and smoked them around the 300 mark for an hour and a half.  works ok but I didn't get the crispness of the first method.  I haven't tried putting the stock baskets in the center yet and will try that next.  This method would be most similar to the vortex method I'm guessing.  I'm leaning towards getting the vortex for the wings alone but I'm forcing myself to wait until I try the baskets in the center.  Has anyone done both?  Is the vortex better?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 06:31:23 AM »
I've gathered differing opinions on this topic here die hard vortex fans and those that say you don't need it. I'll await for your post after you try the baskets in the center. I don't have one and I'll put my baskets in the center for my first wing cook. I'm not anti gadget but if I can cook with less then I spend less money and have less shit to store and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Baysidebob

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »
I just took my first cook of wings from my Vortex/26.  Awesome!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
Mad Hunky Hot Whang seasoning is awesome on vortex wings! Give it a shot if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

unometooo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 03:42:52 PM »
I smoked some vortex wings and bacon wrapped jalapeņo poppers this weekend. Amazing, can't wait to do them again!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »
Both look great but the poppers look perfect!  Can't wait to try the baskets in the middle before I get a vortex but it looks like it cooks stuff like that perfectly.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »
How long did the wings take?

NewGuy16

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »
It takes me about hour and 40 minutes of bit longer on my 22"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 07:03:11 AM »
It takes me about hour and 40 minutes of bit longer on my 22"

That's about what it took me using this method on the 26".
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:07:26 AM by HoosierKettle »