Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex wings  (Read 7056 times)

theduke

• Smokey Joe
Re: Vortex wings
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »
How are you guys going an hour and forty minutes on wings? I do one chimney of competition or lump with my vortex and those things are crispy / borderline burnt at 45 min. Are your vents wide open? That just seems like forever to cook wings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 05:37:48 AM »
It was the first time I tried cooking them indirect. My vents were wide open and had 2 full baskets banked. Usually it only takes me 45 minutes when I cook them my normal way which is direct heat and half top vent for a half hour then turn them in the heat with the lid off the last 15 minutes. Only reason I've been experimenting is to try and churn out crispy wings without as much baby sitting. Next time I will try the 22 with baskets in the middle and I'm guessing it should be back to the 45 minute mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 06:29:50 AM »
That seems about where I am with that method too Hoosier. Looks like NewGuy is at an hour and 40 WITH the Vortex? I just can't imagine that. I've recently been doing a full chimney of lump with the vortex and vents wide open on the 22 and 40 minutes is pushing it. Not as accurate with the bone  and all but the Thermapen reads over 160 after the first 20 minutes with that method. At that point it's just about getting the skin a little crispier without drying out the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk