Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood for smoking  (Read 3288 times)

Lumpwood

• Smokey Joe
Wood for smoking
« on: September 28, 2016, 02:59:51 PM »
I'm new and English so go easy on me here!  I have only ever used (years ago) specifically supplied 'smoking chips' that look like compressed and extruded pulp. They work well enough when as suggested in the packaging that they are placed in a foil parcel with a small hole in to allow the smoke out. It strikes me as being a very expensive way to buy tree?  With my new Weber and plans to use it frequently I'm keen to hear your thoughts on how to source and how to use alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wood for smoking
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:17:00 PM »
Hey Lumpwood. I'd ask what your cooking with first. Gas or kettle? If gas, chips. Kettle, chunks.

I just got to know some fella's at work that have fruit trees and or nut trees. I'm not familiar with pressed sawdust. That sounds like what we call pellets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 03:21:24 PM »
For me it's easy. I have a crab apple tree, apple tree, peach tree wood from dead trees, and a pecan tree. All in the great state of Ohio. My pecan needs limbed again so I'll have some of that soon

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Lumpwood

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 03:25:19 PM »
Thanks Guys. I'm using a Summit Charcoal. So wood straight off the tree or allowed to dry first?  Do I need to soak it?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Wood for smoking
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
Chunks, no. Chips, some guys do and some don't. I don't use chips anymore, but did soak them just so they didn't ignite and burn up too quickly. It made them smolder longer. I only use chunks now. No soaking required and smolderes longer.

Edit - I don't season fruit wood, but do with but wood. Personal preference. I would just play around with it all while your cooking and see what works best for you.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:50:26 PM by Travis »

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
I'm new and English so go easy on me here!  I have only ever used (years ago) specifically supplied 'smoking chips' that look like compressed and extruded pulp. They work well enough when as suggested in the packaging that they are placed in a foil parcel with a small hole in to allow the smoke out. It strikes me as being a very expensive way to buy tree?  With my new Weber and plans to use it frequently I'm keen to hear your thoughts on how to source and how to use alternatives.

Welcome, Lumpwood !

You will want to use a hardwood of some type, depending on what you are smoking.
I use chunks in my kettle and in my WSM.
I do not soak.

My favorite all time is hickory.
Traditional for pork but I like it for salmon as well.
Oak or mesquite are traditional beef smokewoods.
Alder is the traditional smokewood for salmon.

Here is the Smokewood Chart...

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 04:54:02 PM »
Around the northwest we have a lot of alder and I get fruit wood trees apple ,cherry , pear. I usually end up helping someone cut down a tree in there yard they don't want and take the wood for smoking I just cut the limbs into 4" chunks and split them in half I normally let it dry before using it if I want hickory or some of the other hard woods I have to buy that so I usually use alder or some kind of fruit wood out here

BBQ to live live to BBQ

j05hua

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 03:51:32 AM »
Try black thorn. I used it when I was in the UK and my chicken came out awesome. Chunks are a must.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Joshua
the smoking mormon

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:34 AM »
\I just got to know some fella's at work that have fruit trees and or nut trees.

If you wind up getting a decent amount, we might need to do a swap, @Travis ... I've got a bunch of cherry splits right now. Good excuse for a meet-up.....  8)

Edit - I don't season fruit wood, but do with but wood.

You season your but wood, eh?  :o
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 08:27:09 AM »
\I just got to know some fella's at work that have fruit trees and or nut trees.

If you wind up getting a decent amount, we might need to do a swap, @Travis ... I've got a bunch of cherry splits right now. Good excuse for a meet-up.....  8)

Edit - I don't season fruit wood, but do with but wood.

You season your but wood, eh?  :o
Sounds good man. What kind are you looking for.

Gotta season butt wood, lol. Nothing worse than fresh butt wood.. [emoji23]

walshman

• Smokey Joe

Lumpwood

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 12:28:57 PM »
Great information. Thank you all.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 04:29:09 AM »

Here is the Smokewood Chart...

Just wanted to say this chart is amazingly awesome!