Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vacation grilling ideas (a story of fate)  (Read 1971 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Vacation grilling ideas (a story of fate)
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
Family is gonna take a beach vacation on Labor Day weekend as a way to close out summer and enjoy the beach.

Upon looking for places I saw this:

It must be where we're supposed to stay. I've contacted the owner to confirm it's there and available for guest use  ;)

So assuming it is, y'all have any ideas what is good to grill while on vacation? It'll be the in-laws, wife, baby, me. Wanna try avoid buying a fridge full of supplies for a 3 night stay.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vacation grilling ideas (a story of fate)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 06:54:08 PM »
burgers, fajitas and steaks. before departing, place each meat and its seasonings/marinade into an appropriately sized ziplock bag(each bag should have meat and seasoning together). a large bag of shredded cheese, a couple onions, some tortillas and a bag of onion buns(slice some for the burgers, leave some whole to accompany the steaks) should take care of your dinners for 3 nights. eggs, bacon, tortillas, cheese and salsa/hot sauce will cover breakfast. loaf of bread and lunchmeat and cheese will cover lunch. pick the right bag of shredded cheese and you can use the same bag for all 3 meals. condiments are up to you.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 03:26:14 AM »
I'd probably do burgers and brats, 2 spatchcock birds, and either strip or ribeye steaks. Breakfast is usually cereal on vacation. Lunch is sandwiches and dinner is what I posted or we go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 03:35:37 AM »
That thing looks new and shiney.  What beach are you going to be at?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:46:20 AM »
Probably not the best thing to smoke during a three day vacation, but we always make pulled pork a day or two before vacation to bring with us.  We don't sauce it that way we can use it for breakfast, tacos, enchilada, sandwiches, etc.  I big bag of pulled pork can become quite a few different style meals.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »
I would just pack a selection of 'go-to' seasonings and let whatever is available at the local market(s) determine the menu.  You may even discover some local favorites that take you in a whole new direction!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
Thanks for suggestions so far guys. Burgers and brats definitely seem like vacation food. Smoking some ribs sounds good too. Doing PP in advance could work but not sure if I'll have the time to do so.

@Geezer We'll be staying in Sandestin; it's become a thing the past few years.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
I would just pack a selection of 'go-to' seasonings and let whatever is available at the local market(s) determine the menu.  You may even discover some local favorites that take you in a whole new direction!

I'm with @DarrenC on this one.  It's always fun to try something new.  Maybe there is a local fish market since you will be at the beach.

My wife and I were on vacation when local peaches were in season so we found a recipe for grilled peaches & chicken over orzo which turned out great. 
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Vacation grilling ideas (a story of fate)
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
Tri tip!! It's easy. Salt, pepper, garlic, Rosemary. Cheap and easy seasonings that can be found there if you don't wanna pack them along

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 03:09:55 PM by Travis »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 06:05:00 AM »
I agree with buying and using local ingredients IF you don't mind spending a portion of your precious vacation time shopping (not everyone enjoys the procurement of meats like we do). 

I love checking out local farmer's markets and specialty food stores.  Heck, maybe you'll find something in Sandestin to bring home from vacation.  This is often the case when we go to the Keys, we'll go down with an empty cooler and come back with lots of glorious seafood.

Most importantly, have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app