Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Anyone here regularly use a Kamado?  (Read 4377 times)

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Re: Anyone here regularly use a Kamado?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 09:22:23 AM »
I got into BBQ through the introduction to a Big Green Egg at a BBQ competition in Seattle. I didn't know who they were at the time, but they were cooking as Bonesmokers BBQ. It was Ray Lampe - Dr. BBQ, Jim Minion and Chris Lilly! Yeah Big Bob Gibson Chris Lilly! They won the event! On a Klose and BGE's.

Got inspired and jumped right in and learned the BGE and WSM at essentially the same time, got into kettles later on.

My signature (which needs to be revised - hint hint @Troy) kind of says I've got a pit problem that needs more cowbell! Along with my teammates Klose, FEC, Lang & Peoria, I know my way around them as well.

I've got three Large BGE's but don't use them much, but like quality specialized tools, they come in handy when you need them. I've always had a thing for Japanese Kamado's and its how I got into BBQ restoring them. I don't have much stomach for the Eggheads elitists that drank the kool-ade. Never really learned anything from their shitty forums, but did meet some good folks that cooked on other pits as well as Eggs and we share a common bond-master your pit! Whatever it is.

This is more than a hobby for me and I would get bored fast cooking on one specific pit, but thats just me. If I had to name my desert island pick it would be a 22" Weber kettle.

Will that Kamado Joe change your life?

Get back to us on that.

Well spoken, Sir!

It sounds like you and I are from the same generation of competition cooks, only you're still at it.  Ray Lampe and Jim Minion were both game changing mentors for me as well.  I bet we know a few more of the same people from a decade or so ago too.

"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:37 PM »
It was a L BGE that got me off of gas. Great cooker. Versatile. Fun to cook on.  Great temp control.  Fuel miser. Low capacity. It's my go to smoker, although wish I had the XL for ribs. I can't say a bad thing about it.  Anything overnight is on the BGE.

My main Grill?  Kettle. Hands down a better grilling experience. Also for shorter smokes.

I tell people that the kamado is great. Do not want to steer any away from it.  For the money, however, you can get a top of the line performer and a 22" WSM and smoke and Grill as well as kamado. And, grill and smoke at same time, with way more capacity. Even the 18" WSM has twice the capacity of an 18" Kamado.

Kamado is a great tool, but not the only great tool out there.

popcorn09

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 05:21:27 AM »
I started on gas and still have and use it. I got into low and slow and learned on a WSM. I was still always curious about ceramics. I lucked out and scored a Vision on clearance at Sam's. I used it as smoker for almost 2 years. I learned that I never grilled on it and I preferred smoking on WSM. I sold that Vision and bought a Weber performer and a digiq ATC for the WSM. The performer gave me a gas assist for the charcoal chimney and a table for prep. The ATC let's me sleep for overnight cooks.

My main issue with the vision was managing the fire. A WSM has a big door that gives access to the fire. If you need to fiddle it was easy. with the vision you have to go though the top which means taking off your food, cooking grates, and heat deflector stone huge PIA. There are many that get very good at managing fire in a ceramic and once you get your technique down you won't have many issues. I wasn't one of them. For me the performer, WSM, genesis combo is great (for now)!

You might have to try many tools and find out what you really like. I still want to try a Traeger. lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 10:17:15 AM »
I think if I were gonna buy something outside the world of Weber it would probably be a traeger.  I've seen them in action but never used one personally.  The idea of setting a temperature and walking away intrigues me.  I've been considering a digi-Q but I worry about spending the coin on a gadget.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 10:51:40 AM »
I have exclusively cooked on Weber kettles and Traegers. I just scored a Big Steel Keg for free and am looking forward to try the kamado thing.

I think the BSK supposedly holds more moisture than a ceramic.

I too am pursuing the ultimate brisket / pastrami.

Whit

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 11:26:16 AM »
I think if I were gonna buy something outside the world of Weber it would probably be a traeger.  I've seen them in action but never used one personally.  The idea of setting a temperature and walking away intrigues me.  I've been considering a digi-Q but I worry about spending the coin on a gadget.

My cousin / co-conspirator lives down the road and is a dedicated Traeger man.  I've enjoyed several meals off it and it certainly works as advertised, but frankly I find it boring.  Without the 'human element' to the fire management it's really just an outdoor wood-fired convection oven. 
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 11:57:27 AM »

My cousin / co-conspirator lives down the road and is a dedicated Traeger man.  I've enjoyed several meals off it and it certainly works as advertised, but frankly I find it boring.  Without the 'human element' to the fire management it's really just an outdoor wood-fired convection oven.
And that's EXACTLY why I haven't bought one.  Kinda Takes all the fun out of grilling

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Jclong74

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »
I have a Kamado Joe classic(regular). Wife got it for me about 4 years ago & I love it. I use it 3 to 4 times a week.Before that I used Weber kettles. Had an 18 & 22. Upgraded to a Performer in 2010, loved it. After the KJ the Performer has been used about 3 times. I have used it for low & slows, grilling, pizzas, etc. There isn't anything I have done on my KJ that I can't do in a kettle but for me after learning how to use the KJ it is easier to do all those things. It can be ready to cook in about 15 minutes for the evening dinner cooks & it great for over night cooks. It is much more efficient than my performer. As far as capacity I cook for just the wife & I so I don't want for space(an 18" weber grill fits right in). The most I have done at one time is 2 whole chickens & 2 racks of baby back ribs on it at the same time(2 sitters & rib rack). They have an grate expander which enable 3 levels of cooking, if you so desire. I can't compare it to a WSM because I have never used one.
     There are drawbacks, it takes a lot of time for it to cool off enough to cover after a cook. The KJ doesn't have a rain cap like some other ceramic grills so water can get in the daisy wheel in the rain if not covered. It is heavy but very easy to move if necessary via the cart in came in. I don't move it that much but I didn't move the performer that much either, usually moved arond to clean the patio. I have found that after getting over the learning curve I feel the "human element" to fire management gets a little lost. It is a little surreal to throw a rack of ribs on & not have to touch them for a few hours, unlike the the Weber where I was tending the fire much more closely. That being said Weber was about 4 years to late, had a product like the Summit been around back then I would have snapped one up. I think its a great deal that you are getting & I don't think you would be disappointed if you put in the time with it.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
I have a Kamado Joe classic(regular). Wife got it for me about 4 years ago & I love it. I use it 3 to 4 times a week.Before that I used Weber kettles. Had an 18 & 22. Upgraded to a Performer in 2010, loved it. After the KJ the Performer has been used about 3 times. I have used it for low & slows, grilling, pizzas, etc. There isn't anything I have done on my KJ that I can't do in a kettle but for me after learning how to use the KJ it is easier to do all those things. It can be ready to cook in about 15 minutes for the evening dinner cooks & it great for over night cooks. It is much more efficient than my performer. As far as capacity I cook for just the wife & I so I don't want for space(an 18" weber grill fits right in). The most I have done at one time is 2 whole chickens & 2 racks of baby back ribs on it at the same time(2 sitters & rib rack). They have an grate expander which enable 3 levels of cooking, if you so desire. I can't compare it to a WSM because I have never used one.
     There are drawbacks, it takes a lot of time for it to cool off enough to cover after a cook. The KJ doesn't have a rain cap like some other ceramic grills so water can get in the daisy wheel in the rain if not covered. It is heavy but very easy to move if necessary via the cart in came in. I don't move it that much but I didn't move the performer that much either, usually moved arond to clean the patio. I have found that after getting over the learning curve I feel the "human element" to fire management gets a little lost. It is a little surreal to throw a rack of ribs on & not have to touch them for a few hours, unlike the the Weber where I was tending the fire much more closely. That being said Weber was about 4 years to late, had a product like the Summit been around back then I would have snapped one up. I think its a great deal that you are getting & I don't think you would be disappointed if you put in the time with it.

Update:

I caught a sale and got another 20% and the Kamado Joe was $579,  out the door and delivered.  I figure that if I don't take to ceramic cooking, as long as I don't crack it, I can sell it for $600 and get back what I have into it....

If delivery wasn't an issue, I even considered buying a couple of them and turning them around on CL, but I'm not really keen on having a bunch of strangers in my garage.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »

I have a co-worker that I've been trying to talk out of a Traeger.  But, he's young and wants things to be easy.  Whenever I see the demos at Costco, I'm not impressed.  How long do they last?  They seem somewhat flimsy, and I think they'd be prone to rust.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Atalanta

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
I just saw this ceramic on Philly's Craigslist: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/5753059191.html

$90 for a Komado? I'd jump if I hadn't just bought the BLUE 22". I've been lusting after a BGE for years. For me it was the cool factor and the sales pitches at the home shows. I didn't bite because of the $$$.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
That's not ceramic, it's powder-coated steel.  Also, many a WallyWorld had them on sale for the Labor Day weekend for $150 or less.