Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Here's the fitting you need to swap for modern propane tanks-Old Genesis bbq's  (Read 2247 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
This is my first time digging into a Weber gasser and had to do a little research to figure out this fitting swap. Here's the info for the next person that comes along looking to do the same thing.

You need an 11/16th deep socket most likely to get the job done. I also used some thread pipe sealant because I had it around. I hand tightened the first time and could hear the propane leaking. Turns out there's a nut down there you can get your ratchet on. I drew an arrow on the 2nd picture so you can see what I mean.

The good news is the burner tubes work on the Genesis Jr I bought :)

Here's the Amazon link. I bought mine at ACE as I enjoy being taken advantage of price wise (in other words I didn't feel like waiting 2 days). https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-4-Inch-Thread/dp/B000BQT5H2/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1471543387&sr=1-1&keywords=mr+heater+f276495

If you don't want to mess with it, it looks like you can get the whole hose and regulator kit through Weber Part #7503: http://store.weber.com/items/detail/1364

Regulator with old fitting attached

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:30:52 AM by AZ Monsoon »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
Cool!  I need to do that on one of my turkey fryer burners.  It has the internal connection and it's a pain to switch tanks on the fly while brewing beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
This is my first time digging into a Weber gasser and had to do a little research to figure out this fitting swap. Here's the info for the next person that comes along looking to do the same thing.

You need an 11/16th deep socket most likely to get the job done. I also used some thread pipe sealant because I had it around.

I do not know what type of sealant you used in your retrofit, but not all pipe thread compounds are intended for use with gas.  For those who might do this in the future, make sure you are using a compound designed for the purpose.

Also, FWIW the "acme nut" is called a QCC1 fitting, with the reverse threaded male fitting called a POL fitting.
Uncommon sense seeker

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger

You need an 11/16th deep socket most likely to get the job done. I also used some thread pipe sealant because I had it around.

I do not know what type of sealant you used in your retrofit, but not all pipe thread compounds are intended for use with gas.  For those who might do this in the future, make sure you are using a compound designed for the purpose.

Also, FWIW the "acme nut" is called a QCC1 fitting, with the reverse threaded male fitting called a POL fitting.

I used Rectorseal 5, but good point. Thanks!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
For a second I thought you said Rectalseal. Talk about gas-proof!

Geez, I'm too old to be saying that, but my 8 year old Grandson is a bad influence.
Retired