Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooks when the weather is not so good  (Read 3380 times)

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
Cooks when the weather is not so good
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:19:47 AM »
I have done cooks when it was snowing out, but did not take a pic. In the future I will. Was wondering if anyone cares to share a pic or story of a cook they did when the weather was not so good. Does not even have to be bad weather, but just a cook when there was other stuff going on.
Tex

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cooks when the weather is not so good
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:38:06 AM »
I did t take pics but I tried to smoke a brisket in the rain. It was a cloudy Saturday with about a 40% chance of rain. In Ohio those aren't good odds. It was cloudy in the morning so I thought if I could get a start then I'd be okay. This was before I found Stubb's and did all my cooks and smoking with RO lump. I was out every hour checking temp and fuel and about 4 hours into it the rain started. I was out with an umbrella blowing on the coals to get the fire started back up and then it got too hot. Not a fun cook at all and now the umbrella which smells like smoke is a constant reminder to plan my smoking better and use Stubb's. Since then I've caught Weberitis. I bought a CL P code red MT and I'm picking up an A code black orange peel Thursday. My car is no longer in the garage, my performer and other grills are in its spot. If it's going to rain I pull one out just out of the garage but under the eave and I'll cook in pretty much any weather now. I don't know what I'll do in the winter though. I don't like scraping Windows or a cold car. I'll probably move the performer to the back patio and take the kettles in the basement. Needless to say, I did not enjoy that cook at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:54:08 AM »
I am a 365 griller and live in the Midwest. I can't tell you how many cooks I've done in crappy weather. Shoveling snow paths to the grill, bundling up in my winter gear to go fire up the kettles.

I remember last year doing a roti chicken in the dead of winter. No snow this particular cook, but bone chilling 9 degrees out. I remember cause it was so beautiful out. I sent a text to my sister who lives in Memphis. Black night with no cloud cover and no wind. Very calm and COLD. Funny how it's manageable when there's no wind. I had my coffee cup sitting on the dome to keep it warm which works very well by the way. Little tip there.

Crap, I can only imagine the Canada fella's.
I bet you boys got some good stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:59:26 AM by Travis »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 07:58:02 AM »
I was about to say the weather is always good for grilling out here in AZ, but then I remembered we have a chance of monsoons today.  Considering that my girlfriend had a special request for me to grill chicken sausages to go with some pasta tonight I'd say the chance of a storm actually occurring just went way up.  LOL.   Damn it.  I'll post an update this evening to let you know how it goes!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 09:59:29 AM »
I have cooked in the 20s when I lived in Ohio and cooked when it is 110 degrees plus here in Arizona.  Not much will stop me me from cooking.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 12:00:22 PM »
I have done cooks when it was snowing out, but did not take a pic. In the future I will. Was wondering if anyone cares to share a pic or story of a cook they did when the weather was not so good. Does not even have to be bad weather, but just a cook when there was other stuff going on.

It snows in Texas?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 04:14:45 PM »
Ping Pong ball size or larger hail bouncing off a Weber kettle while I'm trying to cook some chicken.

https://vimeo.com/178266685

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 04:19:41 PM by haeffb »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »
Interesting hail fact.....you can slice it in half and count the rings in it to determine how many times it went up and down in the clouds before it fell to earth.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
I've had a couple of cooking sessions go sideways due to weather.  I should be the last one to play the odds when the weather forecast says 30 or 40% chance of rain.

Anyways, last summer, I had gotten some pork chops prepared and the chimney loaded with charcoal ready to light up then a front of dark, ominous clouds appeared on the horizon. I joked with one of the neighbours over the fence about whether I should go for it and light it up or go inside and turn on the oven.  We both kind of laughed and looked at the clouds, wondering if it was going to pass by overhead without doing much or if I could get the cooking done before it started raining.  I went for it, lit the charcoal and cooked.  I finished up and brought the food in as the first rain drops started coming down and got everything cleaned up and shut down before the deluge began.  We had a good laugh about it later since the neighbours saw me running inside with the last of the stuff that had to be brought in just as the sky opened up.

Back in the fall, my best friend was visiting from out of town and we planned to smoke ribs but the rib smoking fell behind schedule right from the very start.  Neither of us are morning people and we both overslept.  We went out for breakfast and did a couple of things, it was a beautiful day, 30% chance of rain according to the forecast, and we stopped on the way back to my place and picked up the ribs for dinner.  It was already pretty late in the day so this was going to be a late night barbecue and supper but "midnight barbecue" is something we've done many times before so not a problem there.  Preparing the ribs took a long time though. I've never had such a battle removing silver skin.  We finally got them into the 22.5" WSM and after the first hour, the sun started setting, the clouds rolled in, and the wind started up.

I have one of those clamp lamps with a circular reflector that has a 100 W rough service bulb in it that I clip to the fence and point down at the grill or smoker when I'm cooking after dark next to the house so I got it out and plugged it in after it got dark.  The wind and cloud cover kept getting heavier and both of us were seriously questioning the weather forecast which still showed a 30% chance of rain meanwhile the ribs were cooking along inside the WSM and were starting to smell good.  At some point my friend turned to me and said, "I'm sorry, I hate to tell you this, but it's going to rain."  Sure enough, off and on, some drops came down but nothing too bad.  Finally, it was time to put the sauce on the ribs so we took the lid off the smoker and I began brushing sauce on when all of a sudden, huge drops of rain started coming down and one of them landed on that hot 100 W bulb in the clamp lamp on the fence above the smoker.  The bulb immediately shattered and sprayed glass all over the ribs.  There we were picking broken glass out of the ribs in the darkness and the rain by flashlight.  We got all the glass out, sauced the ribs and finished them off and are inside a lot later and wetter than we planned.

I had a roast beef turn out badly this spring shortly after I got the rotisserie.  I'd prepared the cut of beef, I think it was an eye of round, and gotten it skewered on the rotisserie when it suddenly started raining out and snuffing the coals as they were trying to light. Even holding an umbrella above the grill didn't help so I ended up pouring the coals into the two charcoal baskets and putting the lid on the grill to try and get them to light up and stay dry that way.  Eventually I put the rotisserie on even though the coals were still smoking. It turned out awful. Between overdoing the onion in the rub and the smoking coals, it was terrible. I learned the hard way that thick white smoke is bad news.

I remember last year doing a roti chicken in the dead of winter. No snow this particular cook, but bone chilling 9 degrees out. I remember cause it was so beautiful out. I sent a text to my sister who lives in Memphis. Black night with no cloud cover and no wind. Very calm and COLD. Funny how it's manageable when there's no wind.

My favourites cooking experiences are quite similar to this.  My house has a huge back yard because of an oddity with the way the streets were laid out here and I normally keep the kettle grill in the middle of it.  Fall is my favourite season.  Being outside on a cool, still fall evening, standing in the middle of this big back yard with a fleece sweater on after the early sunset in the quiet and the darkness with a good cup of coffee while a chimney full of charcoal is starting up and some good food ready to go is the perfect evening. Seeing the glow of the coals starting at the bottom and slowly working it's way up the chimney with the occasional snap or crackle with a shower of sparks breaking up the quiet, and watching the smoke billow up into the sky towards the stars or drifting towards the Niagara escarpment with its row of street lights along Mountain Brow Rd. along the edge at the top is so peaceful.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
years ago when i was married to my practice wife, it snowed like a bitch. We got done shoveling the drive, and I fired up my kettle to grill some cheap round steaks (the toilet seat sized ones). I could hear a neighbor behind me talking to his wife. He said "I SMELL A GRILL! SOMEONE is CRAZY!"

Best steak ever.

btw - i'm a year round griller too. bad weather is no reason to not grill.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »

Nah, not really …. Just boring stories of cooking in the summer heat … and, yes, it does get hot up here in the summer. 
Currently in a heat wave of mid 80s, with a "feels like" of 100 degrees.

Cooking in the dead of winter …. Of course, y'all know that it does get cold up here.  Just gotta dress for it, and stay hydrated ….  ;) ;)

And, cooking in the spring and fall.  The fall is my favourite time of year to cook-up outside.  Not too hot, and not too cold.

Boring stuff ….  :D ;D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »

It snows in Texas?

For the last couple years it's snowed here and there but in north Texas we mostly get freezing rain, sleet, and hail. It makes for a crap situation. MOFOs round here don't think tires matter and have zero respect for physics. Don't let it get me down tho.. Blueberry bread pudding French toast. Yum!

Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 08:09:22 AM »

Nah, not really …. Just boring stories of cooking in the summer heat … and, yes, it does get hot up here in the summer. 

Cooking in the dead of winter …. Of course, y'all know that it does get cold up here.  Just gotta dress for it, and stay hydrated ….  ;) ;)

And, cooking in the spring and fall.  The fall is my favourite time of year to cook-up outside.  Not too hot, and not too cold.

80's and 100's....I really hope you are talking Fahrenheit and not Celsius!!!!!  LOL

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
80's and 100's....I really hope you are talking Fahrenheit and not Celsius!!!!!  LOL

He's talking Fahrenheit but it feels like Celsius.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »

@MikeRocksTheRed , Actually, it was in degrees Kelvin ….  ??? :P :P ;D ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.