Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Broken grate holder tab inside kettle  (Read 7498 times)

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Broken grate holder tab inside kettle
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:46:34 PM »
One of my SS Performers (green) has the tab that holds the grates, inside the kettle) partly broken. The tab is misplaced just enough that the grate wont sit on it. Every time I try to flip something on that part of the grate it moves.

I want to fix it but havent been able to think of a way to do it without drilling a hole in the kettle and putting a SS bolt in it. I thought about doing the same thing to both tabs on that side just to make it look like it was supposed to be like that.

Got any ideas for another way I can fix it?
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Broken grate holder tab inside kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:59:44 PM »
Did you try to call Weber, they are pretty good about sending free replacement parts.  If it is miswelded they might just put a new one in the mail to you.  Its worth a shot, call 800-446-1071, they are there till 1 am central time.  Good luck.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
Worth a try I guess although its an older SS version.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 08:15:21 PM »
I think they have a 10 yr warranty, so the date code needs to be no older than 2003. DT or 2004 DH
They stopped making the SS in 2005.  There goona want the serila number if you have it.
Good Luck!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 09:01:16 PM »
Hellfire, did you have any luck with Weber CS on this?  I've got a a '91 SS Redhead Performer that has two of the of brackets that hold the charcoal grate snapped off.  It works alright without them, but I'd love to find a solution...  Anyone else have this happen, or have a solution?
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
Bob B Q, I might be wrong but I am pretty sure Weber would not have any red kettle bowls still around.   I have never fixed a broken/bad weld so my knowledge is very limited on the repair issue.   I would still call them to see what can be done.  Good luck and post some pictures of your redhead when you can..
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:21:22 PM by reillyranch »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 07:00:25 AM »

I went looking to see if they showed the welding of this part on "Modern Marvels"......

Some factory shots & George's son with an original kettle, but no dice on this specific piece.....

It's somehow welded into the inside, without a mark on the outside, that I can tell, even on the old, old ones I have........

The video is  linked on a different thread........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 07:34:26 AM »
The Green SS Performer is a DD so its unlikely they'll warranty it, although I still havent called. Im thinking I'll just use SS hardware to bolt it back together and be done with it. Ill use distorted thread locknuts so I can leave them loose enough that the porcelain enamel finish dont chip when tightening.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
   I went looking to see if they showed the welding of this part on "Modern Marvels"......
I'm certain that they weld them before applying the porcelain finish.
kettles, smokers...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
I'm certain that they weld them before applying the porcelain finish.

Yeah, I'm sure they do, I was just flipping thru the video to see if they showed exactly how they did it to maybe think up a fix.........
It's undetectable on the outside, even on ones that are beat up in that area.....I'm at least a minor expert at beat up ones ~~~>  8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 02:08:34 PM »
So if they weld them first there shouldn't be any paint underneath the tab?
I pulled one off the other week and it seemed to have paint behind the tab
Also would this make a weak point in the kettle? Somewhere that rust could start
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 05:12:05 PM »
I would think they would spot weld those on. That would probably weld a 3-4mm spot and the porcelain could fill the rest of the gap. Is that what you saw?
kettles, smokers...

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
Not sure
It seemed like it was painted then spot welded as the back of the tab and bowl all had a full coat of paint
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
Not sure
It seemed like it was painted then spot welded as the back of the tab and bowl all had a full coat of paint
Any kind of welding requires metal to metal contact. Any impurities such as porcelain enamel would compromise the weld. Spot welding in particular requires passing current through the two pieces of metal and that requires a conductive path between them.
kettles, smokers...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 05:05:26 PM »
Just drill a hole and put a stainless L bracket.  It is the easiest fix.  If you keep it covered it won't rust.  You don't need a giant one it can be a relatively small nut and bolt.  Your grill will be back in the fight in no time....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X