Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time with homemade dough  (Read 2823 times)

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
First time with homemade dough
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:40:38 PM »
Turned out just fine, although the bottom of the crust could have been more done.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: First time with homemade dough
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:44:56 PM »
That looks great!  If your top is cooking faster than the bottom either remove the bricks you have the stone resting on or just add a handful of coals on the coal grate under where your stone will go.   Looks pretty damn good to me though! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:22:17 PM »
Looks like you done good!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:34:29 AM »
Gorgeous!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »
Looks GREAT from here. Any thoughts on the dough?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:39:25 PM »
Yeah, the dough was great. Like I mentioned it wasn't super crispy, but still soooo much better than the pre-cooked store-bought crusts I've been using. I just did a Google for thin crust pizza dough and combined a couple.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »
The recipe I used (except I skipped the parchment paper and did use a rolling pin). I rolled out the dough, then placed on some floured aluminum pizza pans. It took some care to transfer from the pizza pan to the heated stone on the grill, but both pizzas made it (mostly) safely through the process. Parchment would have eased that process, but I didn't have any.

Ingredients

3/4 cups (6 ounces) lukewarm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 package active-dry yeast
2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Instructions

Combine the water and yeast in a mixing bowl, and stir to dissolve the yeast. Add the flour sugar and salt to the bowl and mix until you've formed a shaggy dough.

Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface along with any loose flour still in the bowl. Knead until all the flour is incorporated, and the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. The dough should still feel moist and slightly tacky. If it's sticking to your hands and countertop like bubble gum, work in more flour, one tablespoon at a time, until it is smooth.

If you have time at this point, you can let the dough rise until you need it or until doubled in bulk (about an hour and a half). After rising, you can use the dough or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.

Cover the dough with the upside-down mixing bowl or a clean kitchen towel while you prepare the pizza toppings.
When ready to make the pizza, tear off 2 pieces of parchment paper roughly 12 inches wide. Divide the dough in 2 with a bench scraper. Working with one piece of the dough at a time, form it into a large disk with your hands and lay it on the parchment paper.

Work from the middle of the dough outwards, using the heel of your hand to gently press and stretch the dough until it's about a 1/4-inch thick or less. For an extra-thin crust, roll it with a rolling pin. If the dough starts to shrink back, let it rest for 5 minutes and then continue rolling.

The dough will stick to the parchment paper, making it easier for you to roll out, and the pizza is baked while still on the parchment. As it cooks, the dough will release from the parchment, and you can slide the paper out midway through cooking.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
Looks fantastic and thank you for the dough recipe.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 01:19:46 PM »
Great job on those pies, Brian!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »
Nice pies! Home made is always going to be better than the precooked junk you can buy at the store. Looks like you need to preheat your stone a little longer to get the bottom crust cooked. @haeffb Here's a simple no-kneed neopolitian dough you could try. Basically mix up the ingredients, cover and let rise on the counter for 8-12 hours, then make 4 dough balls and refrigerate for 3 days. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html