Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got a Genesis Jr  (Read 2079 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Got a Genesis Jr
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
It will buff out :)
She is uuuuuggggly. Someone got their money's worth.

I've been very casually keeping my eye open for one of these the past few years and saw one last night. Everything seems to be there as far as grates, flavorizer bars, temp gauge etc... Obviously no wood slats and no front fold down table thingy. The frame is pretty solid with minimal rust and the porcelain top will clean up nicely.

I've never had a Genesis before. A few questions for you if you don't mind as I know very little about gas grills and less about the Genesis.

1. How in the heck does the propane tank attach to the side of the grill? There's like a propane level gauge there as well.
2. Are new Genesis badges available for the front of the grill?
3. How do the wood slats attach?
4. Are the rectangular plastic end caps for the frame still available?

Thanks

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:55:16 PM by AZ Monsoon »

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Got a Jr
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »
Boo. Looks like I'm missing the hardware for the slats eh?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Got a Jr
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 04:16:39 PM »
It will buff out :)
She is uuuuuggggly. Someone got their money's worth.

I've been very casually keeping my eye open for one of these the past few years and saw one last night. Everything seems to be there as far as grates, flavorizer bars, temp gauge etc... Obviously no wood slats and no front fold down table thingy. The frame is pretty solid with minimal rust and the porcelain top will clean up nicely.

I've never had a Genesis before. A few questions for you if you don't mind as I know very little about gas grills and less about the Genesis.

1. How in the heck does the propane tank attach to the side of the grill? There's like a propane level gauge there as well.
2. Are new Genesis badges available for the front of the grill?
3. How do the wood slats attach?
4. Are the rectangular plastic end caps for the frame still available?

Thanks

It looks from the bottom pic, the wing nut and tank lock tab are missing. The level indicator appears to be intact.

The wood slats screw into the bottom of frames that rest on the frames (double 90*)

I have found the end caps at my local hardware store

This was my first Jr. - got it from a guy that moved to England and Japan and back to Seattle with it. Found a Black one and robbed all the parts I could use to make it usable. It was a cute little grill, but wasn't useful for much with my family. Sold it when I upgraded to the 1000, then a Genesis C.

Another one just fell into my lap, got an e-mail out of the blue from someone who saw pics from the tvwbb site and offered it to me for free.

I could get it to light, but the regulators were shot, I worked on it but never could get it to work.

No takers when I had it on cl until I put a free curb alert on it. The guy that took it was happy! He said it was in better shape than his.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:19:53 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Got a Genesis Jr
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
Thanks for the info Swamp. Pretty cool little grills.

Actually, the wing nut and tab are present, so it looks like I'm good to go there.

"The wood slats screw into the bottom of frames that rest on the frames (double 90*) " It looks like the frames up by the burner knobs are pretty generic and can be sourced from another Genesis. The bottom frames look to be a more specific size for the Jr. Do you believe this to be correct?

Thanks!

AZogas

• WKC Brave
Re: Got a Genesis Jr
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
I just found one of these in my neighbors trash.   It's pretty clean on the outside but it will need new burners, grates, and flavorizor bars.   Hardest part will be the burners because they need to be custom made based on what I have learned so far. Good luck on your restoration!  I'm hoping up start mine this weekend.   Let me know what you do regarding the burners too.