Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket on Performer  (Read 3230 times)

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
Brisket on Performer
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:51:27 AM »
This is my 6th brisket but the first one on a kettle (I have always smoked them on a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker). I have to say, I couldn't have been happier with the results!  Getting good bark on the Masterbuilt has always been a challenge. A smoke ring was impossible.  With the Weber kettle, I was able to get great bark and a smoke ring.  It was also more juicy than the brisket I made in May in the Masterbuilt. 

I started with. 6.25 lb Choice flat from Costco. I usually get a whole packer but this was just for my wife and I so I wanted to give a smaller brisket a try. I set up the kettle with a 2x2 snake of KBB briquettes. I had to add charcoal a few times during the smoke so next time I will use a more briquettes at the outset. I had a water/drip pan and added boiling water.  I used Apple chunks (dry) on top of the briquettes. I spritzed occasionally with apple cider vinegar/water.  The dry rub (no mustard) consisted of salt & pepper, garlic, paprika, cumin and a little brown sugar.  Served with some Bush's baked beans with bacon and maple syrup added and panko breaded zucchini fries (made on Weber Genesis).

I put it on at 9AM and we at at about 8:15 PM. I had a long stall at 155 degrees. I wrapped at 178 and pulled it at 198. I wanted to let it rest but it was getting late. I had a little trouble maintains the temp at my target of 245 but over-all I was happy. It just came down to not having enough charcoal in the snake. It will be a lot easier next time.

I will definitely be using the Performer for briskets going forward!

Jon A.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:34:41 AM by Jon A. »

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Re: Brisket on Performer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 04:53:36 AM »
AWESOME!!!!!

Looks great!  Awesome cook!!! I always tend to have more briquettes than I need. I bet it is/was tasty!!!  Can't wait to try my WSM for Brisket! 

TIA!!

Jeff
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 12:11:21 PM »
Looks great! One day, I'll get around to trying the snake.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
Very nice bark!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:38:34 PM »
Bark, smokering and moistness look perfect !
Well done !

Those pavers look sharp (awesome).

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 06:16:47 AM »
Very nice looking bark and it doesn't look dry at all. I bet it was awesome. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:00:57 AM »
Beautiful!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 01:41:57 PM »
D@mn that looks good ! ! !

Was that just the flat?  I've never tried cooking the flat by itself, about how long did it take?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

bigmikey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
Great looking brisket!!!🍻 Get a tip top temp, make sure you have enough charcoal and it'll hold your temps rock solid.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
That looks about as good as it gets, congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
Pound the flat with smoke from the Performer for a couple hours then wrap tightly in foil with some flavorful liquid and finish off in the Masterbuilt.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Jon A.

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 04:23:28 PM »
Thanks for all of the compliments. It took a couple hours longer than expected (about 11 instead of 9). I was taking care of my 18 month old twins while checking the temp and spritzing it here and there so the temp got away from me for a bit (dipped a little below 200 for a bit). After that, I let it cook at 275-300 to move things along.  It seemed to stall forever at about 155 IT according to the remote read thermometer. I checked a thinner part with my Thermapen and it was 178 so I figured that was a good time to wrap (with a little Brooklyn Summer beer for good measure). That helped the temp rise.  I wanted to pull it at 203 but it was getting late and my wife and I were hungry so we took it off the grill at 198.  Definitely my best brisket so far... can't wait to do another one!

Jon A

OmarHaltam

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2016, 09:21:24 PM »
looks great[emoji1303]

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 04:54:13 AM »
I have been smoking my briskets on my WSM but this year I added a Performer grill and SNS.  My smokes on the Performer have turned out real good but have not tried a Brisket on it.  Looks like I need to.  Good looking brisket

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
Nice looking brisket!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!