Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The irrational brisket...  (Read 3845 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The irrational brisket...
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »
@BariB523

I don't do a lot of them, but cook @ 260-275 & they seem to go OK....

Here's a couple kettle cookups with some info that may help....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ok-finally-brisket/msg72790/#msg72790

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/brisket-prawn/msg7491/#msg7491

Edit: and, oh yeah, they are irrational..... 8)
I think I'm doing it on my 18 inch WSM. Do you think on a kettle would be better?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

@BariB523
Maybe, the only thing I could see is maybe having trouble fitting one on an 18" width......you could "hump" it over a soup can with both ends cut out, or a stainless bowl upside-down....then after it cooks & shrinks for awhile, it will likely lay flat...

I don't have WSMs, so not the best person to ask for direction on the setups for those....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: The irrational brisket...
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 11:33:18 AM »
Based on my cooking experience since joining KCBS, I agree 110% @DarrenC.   While all four meats can vary a little from week to week, I think that briskets are the one that can have the widest swing - assuming that other factors are the same, i.e,; lbs., cooking temp, etc.

My local Restaurant Depot is now carrying Black Angus briskets and I'm starting to use those in the hopes that I might get a little more consistency.  Haven't been able to spring for Snake River Farms yet ! ! !

BD
This may be slightly off topic but I'm cooking my first brisket on Saturday. What would be your top three do's or dont's? I got one from my job but I'm scared to muck it up.

1) Separate the point and the flat  - you'll get more surface area and bark.  You'll cook faster too.

2) There are hotter 'quick cook' methods people talk about.  Don't confuse yourself with those right now.  Keep it simple and keep it between 225 and 250.

3) Trim the fat cap down to 1/4" or so.  You don't need that huge cap and this way it will make carving and plating much more pleasant.

4) Save me the burnt ends

EDITED TO ADD - I'm not going to debate foiling vs not foiling (Texas Crutch).  Do what you like but I will say that in my house it's all about the bark, and the bark without the foil is FAR superior to that which has been foiled.
Thanks for the tips but I need those burnt ends!! Lol.

Unlike Darren, I start off with the flat and point together and separate them during the later stages of the cook.  I'm not saying that Darren's wrong, just a different method.  Since you're cooking on an 18, though, you would probably want to separate them so that they would fit more easily into your cooking chamber.

As far as doing it on your kettle, of course you can ! ! !  It's just that it might take a little more attention and you will probably need to add fuel once or twice.  It takes me about 10-11 hours on a 22" WSM running at 225º.

As far as SRF goes, figure at least a buck & a half for 10 pounder.  (I'll stick with my $3 lb. Black Angus!)

Oh, and like Darren said, the burnt ends are the star of the show ! ! !

BD
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:35:06 AM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna