Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Proper Training for Kettle Apprentices  (Read 7685 times)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Proper Training for Kettle Apprentices
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 06:49:29 AM »
A nice tri-tip if you can get them... I usually sear mine first and then finsh on indirect. But I think I may try a reverse sear. I also want to try marinating one overnight. 
That's the great thing, learning and experimenting never ends.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
Great question, mike.  I always worry about that when I convert some one.  They don't seem to realize the preparation, study, and learning that goes into consistently cooking good food.  The weber makes it easy but still have to be careful. 

The thing I do is introduce them to indirect vs direct cooking.  Showing them that the food doesn't have to be over high heat usually opens a whole new world for them. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Yeah, the main reason I suggest roast chicken first is because it *forces* them to think of grilling in a whole new way.  Like Craig, I find that-- even when they are eating kettle-roasted meat-- people just can't grok that grilling doesn't need to be thin pieces of food right over heat.  So I just tell my padawans, "Go and cook some chickens-- then come back to me and we will talk".  And most of the time, a simple roast chicken is about 1 chimney of coals for about 1 hour.  Pretty foolproof. 

Unfortunately, tri-tip is practically nonexistent out east (in my experience, anyway-- I need to find out where Chris is getting his!).  But chuck roast or pork loin is another good idea.  I think I'll start suggesting ribs to people, since they take a relatively short time and have a big payoff. 

And Chris, that spatchcocked chicken is a thing of beauty.  I am inspired.  (I picked up a Jacques Pepin cookbook on clearance the other day, and followed his instructions for de-boning a whole chicken.  It went pretty smoothly, and got me thinking about boning out a whole bird, then stuffing it and tying it back together to go on the rotisserie...)
One of the charcoal people.

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Proper Training for Kettle Apprentices
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »

Unfortunately, tri-tip is practically nonexistent out east (in my experience, anyway-- I need to find out where Chris is getting his!).  But chuck roast or pork loin is another good idea.  I think I'll start suggesting ribs to people, since they take a relatively short time and have a big payoff. 

And Chris, that spatchcocked chicken is a thing of beauty.  I am inspired.  (I picked up a Jacques Pepin cookbook on clearance the other day, and followed his instructions for de-boning a whole chicken.  It went pretty smoothly, and got me thinking about boning out a whole bird, then stuffing it and tying it back together to go on the rotisserie...)

I got all the tri-tip in my avatar at restaurant depot here in Virginia for 3.99 a pound(trimmed choice grade), that place is great!  I can also get it at costco but it's more expensive and smaller.  I like to spatchcock my yard bird because I believe it's easier to get it to cook evenly without drying out the breast.  You can also rub the inside of the bird better that way.  A while back I saw someone using wooden skewers like in the picture and it makes it way easier to handle the bird.  Mike, where are you on the east coast?

Chris

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
Chris, I'm in Falls Church, VA.  Just outside DC.  We'll have to grill together sometime.

That's good news re: the tri-tip at Restaurant Depot, as one of my apprentices has privileges there.  Do you know if they have hanger steak as well? 

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
Re: Re: Proper Training for Kettle Apprentices
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 04:22:54 PM »
Chris, I'm in Falls Church, VA.  Just outside DC.  We'll have to grill together sometime.

That's good news re: the tri-tip at Restaurant Depot, as one of my apprentices has privileges there.  Do you know if they have hanger steak as well?

Not sure if they have hanger steak but I'm willing to bet they do.  Their meat section almost made me pass out after crying tears of joy, and I'm only partially joking lol. You actually can get unlimited one day passes to shop there if you're a kcbs member, that's how I got in. 

Oh yeah, I'm always down to grill with a fellow BBQ connoisseur

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 05:58:14 AM »
when I started showing my daughter how to cook on the Wk, the direct and indirect methods were the first things I showed her. First with hot dogs then burgers and then bratwursts. It was only after she understood the difference with these cooks did I move her up to chicken .
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
Bob's post just reminded me, have them do Brats, some direct some indirect. That'll teach them the difference between the cooking methods better than anything else.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 08:43:02 AM »
Great point.  It'd be good to have them use both sides of a two-zone fire for the same item.  And brats are pretty forgiving.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Proper Training for Kettle Apprentices
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 09:28:31 AM »
Brats are forgiving but they can turn into the towering inferno if left unattended on the direct side, would make for a good lesson in vent control and lid patience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD