Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Genesis Jr find.  (Read 9388 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Genesis Jr find.
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
So I have an ad in the local CL stating that I will help with restores on Weber gas grills.

This can strike up some interesting conversations, someone reached out to me wanting some help with their grill.  I told them to send me a shot, it's a Genesis Jr.  I explained to him it is a cool grill but a restore would be challenging because Weber no longer makes parts, he seemed to already know that and stated that it was going to the curb.

I told him I would give him a few bux for it.  We spoke further ended up we took $10 off another grill that I had and I took it off his hands.

what do you think @56MPG?  she got a chance at a nice restore?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Genesis Jr find.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 12:36:19 AM »
It'll shine up good! Not sure about rust in the frame, but obviously that front panel is rough. Does it fire up? Burners are key as you would have to fab new ones if the old ones are toast. Looks like it's all there, so that's a plus, but presuming it needs grates, flavorizers, a certified tank, maybe a new regulator, frame work and a ton of elbow grease, don't be surprised if you're into it for a couple hundred. Even so, it's such a nice grill when it's all shiny and new looking, and it makes a great roti grill. You got it for the right price. Go for it!
Retired

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:45:35 AM »
@LightningBoldtz , is the hood color on this one brown, or is it red? Hard to tell how much the lighting is affecting it......
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:53:56 AM »
@Bob BQ  it's a brownie
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 05:26:11 AM »
Picked up a brownie Gen Jr on the way into Chicago last night. The meetup hasn't started and the trip has already been worth it!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 06:25:50 AM »
Wow never knew they made them in brown.  I have only seen red ones before.  What a great find.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:41:19 AM »
Jeff, when you get a chance, can you tell me what this white rectangular thingy is? Maybe take a close up pic of it for me?

Have you made any progress on restoring your Jr?  @LightningBoldtz

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 05:18:09 AM »
Jeff, when you get a chance, can you tell me what this white rectangular thingy is? Maybe take a close up pic of it for me?

Have you made any progress on restoring your Jr?  @LightningBoldtz

That's where the ignitor goes, as far as progress, I have made very little, in fact this will likely go into next year before I have anything to present.  Right now I have  some special tube being fabbed.  If successful we may have a WKC write up for you.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »
That's where the ignitor goes, as far as progress, I have made very little, in fact this will likely go into next year before I have anything to present.  Right now I have  some special tube being fabbed.  If successful we may have a WKC write up for you.

Thanks. On my brownie Jr, that section was painted over by the previous owner. Is the white section just a sticker?

Special tubing, eh? Burners, I assume? My burners are pretty rusted, but don't appear to be terriblly degraded. I haven't had too much time to work on mine, either. Anxious to see how the tubes turn out....

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 06:49:59 AM »
I look forward to clearer pictures.  Every time I see something that somebody is a brownie genesis from that era, it is always a washed out, overexposed shot that looks like a faded red to me.  Would be really neat to see that next to a fire engine red to see the contrast.  Good luck with the restore!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 04:42:47 AM »
Here is the side by side of the Red and Brown

@jkolantern
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:40:28 AM by LightningBoldtz »

AZogas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:19 AM »
Looks nice.  I'm working on one too.  Just finished box.   Still need to finish wood and build shelves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZogas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:51 AM »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 04:47:56 AM »

Awesome,  I am not going that detailed into the Red, I may spend more time on the brown but I want the red to be a cooker for now.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 04:48:55 AM »
I can't get the blasted clicker to work.  It works, it pops but doesn't light often.