Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spam for dinner? Wife hates the idea!  (Read 3502 times)

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
Spam for dinner? Wife hates the idea!
« on: July 25, 2016, 01:32:11 PM »
The other day I was shoppingand out of  the blue I see spam.  When I was a kid I loved spam and thought it was a special treat.  Lookback we were just poor!  LOL!  Anyhoo,  I picked up thethe spam and put it in tthe cart.  My wife wants nothing to  do with it.  So I made her a bet! I make a dinner including spam that she loves,  and she won't roll her  eyes or give me grief the next time iI have "another"  new grill in the back of my truck!

So any rrecipes  or ideas would be great!
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
Re: Spam for dinner? Wife hates the idea!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:43:47 PM by guitarfish »
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 02:18:45 PM »
Thank you @guitarfish but I'm more interestedto see what membershave done themselves  preferably on a kettle. 
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 02:34:54 PM »
I've done the "Island Fried Rice" a couple times in a CI frying pan. It got wiped out,even the grandkids liked it! We have also done spam sliders on Hawaiian rolls with Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on camping trips.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »
@DonoBBQ, I always thought we were poor too, but now, that shit aint that cheap..LOL  Grill some up with a ghetto side of mac n cheese! oh yeah, just like when I was a kid...LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »
I too love Spam.  My wife will not touch it with a ten foot pole.  Spam is insanely popular in Hawaii.  They consume more Spam per capita than any other state.  Their McDonalds actually has menu items with Spam in it.  I know this because I work in a prison with an all Hawaiian population.  All I can think of now is the Monty Python Spam skit....Spam Spam Spam Spam :o
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:57:42 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 06:00:19 AM »
Rub with kosher salt, cracked black pepper and granulated garlic.  Give it a face-melting sear for a couple of minutes per side and set aside.  Get some monster russet potatoes going on the indirect side and when they're about ten or fiteen minutes out add the seared spam in with them.  Grill some oiled and salted asparagus over what's left of the direct heat while the meat rests for five or seven minutes.  slice the spam thinly, fan it nicely and give a healthy drizzle of bearnaise sauce over the sliced meat and asparagus.  Save yourself a pile of grief and use the knorr instant sauce.  Squeeze the potatoes open nicely, load them up and voila!
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
@DarrenC, you sure you need salt on Spam? I like the rest though, keep it simple, sear it.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
Anyone trying slow smoking it?  I might try it just to see what happens.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 01:41:51 PM »
Also salt on spam seems like  bringing sand to the beach!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
YEA!!!.... Let's smoke some spam. Hey, I saw someone do Bologna here, and I thought bologna was a finished product...LOL BRING ON THE SPAM!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 10:49:19 PM »
@fedex's SPAM on a Ranch smoke hilarious.......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/ranch-spam/msg173261/#msg173261

LOL!!  I totally forgot about that.  Rereading what @terrymo wrote up made my day again.  I've got something planned for Spam that is just mind blowing.  I'll get it done this weekend.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 11:04:30 PM »
@fedex's SPAM on a Ranch smoke hilarious.......

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/ranch-spam/msg173261/#msg173261
Thanks! I might do a test run on my next smoke just to try it out!
My mind is already thinking of a nice bacon cross pattern wrapped spam smoked low and slow!

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 11:05:25 PM »
Maybe crush up a couple blood pressure pills and use that in the rub! LOL JK