Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM - Talk about setting and forgetting it  (Read 2925 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
WSM - Talk about setting and forgetting it
« on: August 20, 2016, 02:35:35 AM »
So I purchased a WSM back in June and only used it once since then,  I needed to do some freezer cleaning so I thought I would give the WSM a shot.

I put on some Butts yesterday @ 5 ish left for a while came back @ 9 with no variation on the temp when I left.

about 10:30 I stoked up the fire for the overnight then came in and turned on a movie and fell asleep, I woke up @5:45 and actually forgot about my butts.  @ 6:15 I had gone out to see the temp, it had dropped from 250 target to about 205 in 8 hours.

This thing is unreal.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

Troy

• Statesman
Re: WSM - Talk about setting and forgetting it
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 02:41:44 AM »
Nice. 

Meanwhile in kalifornia
I put butts on my ranch.  Figured they'd be done around 3am.  Went to check them at 3, turns out the sprinklers turned  at some point and sprayed enough water to kill my snake.  Crazy shit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 03:05:00 AM »
Nice. 

Meanwhile in kalifornia
I put butts on my ranch.  Figured they'd be done around 3am.  Went to check them at 3, turns out the sprinklers turned  at some point and sprayed enough water to kill my snake.  Crazy shit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ouch, you can borrow my wsm anytime.   :)
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:48:13 AM »
Dang that is disappointing at 3am for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBQ to live live to BBQ

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:14:08 PM »
I actually sold my Digi Q that I was using on my WSM because it really was not needed and I missed the fact that I was incontrol.  Did you set up your initial burn using the inion method?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 03:02:08 AM »
Yeah I did the minion method, I basically had only 1 bottom vent open to maintain 250, every 3 hours prior to going to bed I would rotate opening one and closing the previously opened one.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 01:07:48 PM »
Both of my WSM's hold a pretty consistent temp. My 14.5 has been going for about three hours now and has stayed between 244-250. There's a post on amazingribs.com on how to set the vents. I follow that post and use a full water pan and get great results.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »
There's somethin' magic about those WSM's, especially the 18.5

mistrtj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 07:23:49 AM »
I ran a steady 5 hour 325* at the grate yesterday (standard method, one full lit/one full unlit, three chunks of cherry) with my Pitmaster IQ-110 set @ 325, the other two vents at 1/3 open with the top vent open 100% for a 22 pound turkey. Used the second probe from my Weber-style dual probe wireless to measure grate temp. Never budged the whole time, never touched a vent until I was done and shut the WSM down. These things are amazing!   (18.5" WSM)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:26:15 AM by mistrtj »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 06:04:54 PM »
I absolutely friggin love my WSM! Mines an older one so it has the Smokey Joe lid for the water pan, I bought a deeper black water bowl at Ace and use it in both that and my 22 CB stacker! Love them both! Not to thread jack but I also use my 18 WSMs charcoal ring (early style with the single row of holes) with the 22 stacker too! Better control and "set it and forget it" peace of mind. I've been tempted to put a butt on the WSM before work then check it when I come home for lunch and plan it to be ready after work for dinner. I just haven't worked up the courage to chance smoking when no one is home.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »
my 18.5 wsm coupled with an iq110 makes smoking things so simple it's almost like cheating. i don't use water in the pan, i use foil balls with foil over the top of the pan. that and the wsm alone was super easy. once i was gifted the iq110 by my mother in law, it's now stupid easy. all you have to do is set the temp, wait for the white smoke to clear and temp to come up, toss on your meat and it'll chug along until you run out of fuel w/o any need to tend to it.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
I wish my two WSM's would do that.  The last couple of times I've used my 18.5 and my 14.5, I had problems getting the temps to come up even after opening the side door.  As soon as they would come up to the temp I wanted and I shut the door, the temps would fall again and this was with all vents wide open.  This was with me using the minion method.

I haven't used either or mine in about two years.  I guess I need to try them out again, maybe starting with more lit this time.

Wayne

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
I wish my two WSM's would do that.  The last couple of times I've used my 18.5 and my 14.5, I had problems getting the temps to come up even after opening the side door.  As soon as they would come up to the temp I wanted and I shut the door, the temps would fall again and this was with all vents wide open.  This was with me using the minion method.

I haven't used either or mine in about two years.  I guess I need to try them out again, maybe starting with more lit this time.

Wayne

What kind of charcoal?