Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Summit Charcoal Grill = pizza oven  (Read 7300 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Summit Charcoal Grill = pizza oven
« on: July 17, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »
Been wanting to try pizza in this thing and finally had the chance tonight. Pizza dough was from a local Italian deli - wanted to make my own but didn't have the time.

Loaded it up with lump and let her crank to around 600C or so - I figured it is still under warranty so let's not pull punches. I did add two huge chunks of oak during the cook.

Just basic Neapolitan pie - I pre baked the crust before putting on the toppings - wife assembled this beautiful thing.

Setup included a medium egg plate setter and cheapo stone bought from BJ's.

First pizza spot on

Second pizza a little doughy but still good - mixed messages between me and my sous chef aka wife on when the dough was ready for the precook. Still very tasty - mushroom, shredded mozzarella, and tomato sauce.

This was the crust on the Neo (or what was left at the moment [emoji41]) - next time wil use homemade pizza dough.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:55:33 PM by Bbqmiller »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Summit Charcoal Grill = pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:45:49 PM »
VERY NICE!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »
Nice Pies @Bbqmiller !!

The Platesetter really gets those pies into the dome of your SCG!

How long were they taking to cook?

Did you pre-bake the crust on the SCG? 

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 05:28:57 PM »
Very nice. Great lookin pies and of course, Love that cooker!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 06:27:57 PM »
Gawd those Summits are beautiful !

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:28:05 AM »
Learned something new with that  egg plate setter, never heard of one.  I have been happy with my simple setup on my Performer but that looks like it would help. @Bbqmiller  Did you cook with the lid closed all the way or raised slightly?  Thanks for sharing

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:52:21 AM »
Good looking pies.
May The Smoke Be With You!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
Very nice work as always! Going to have to try this for sure... Wonder if you could do naan on the inside of the dome? [emoji848][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 02:03:30 PM »
Looks great!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »

Nice Pies @Bbqmiller !!

The Platesetter really gets those pies into the dome of your SCG!

How long were they taking to cook?

Did you pre-bake the crust on the SCG?

I have used it on a Performer too. Someone else had used this set up too. I did precook the dough a bit - maybe 2 minutes max. Temp was around 550-600.

After the toppings went on they took only 3-4 minutes. I think e plate setter/stone combination keeps the direct heat from underneath tamed a bit and gets the pizza higher in the kettle. The rapid fire vent is nice in getting the cooker up to temp quickly.

I got the plate setter a while back off of Craig's list. Someone bought the wrong size and couldn't return it.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 03:14:53 PM »

Learned something new with that  egg plate setter, never heard of one.  I have been happy with my simple setup on my Performer but that looks like it would help. @Bbqmiller  Did you cook with the lid closed all the way or raised slightly?  Thanks for sharing

I have used it on a Performer - see

Pizza on the performer using a plate setter
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=18167

I did melt the lid rollers though[emoji2]

I had the lid closed and both top/bottom vents wide open.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 07:44:07 PM »

I just put one of the platesetters from a Large BGE into my pizza grill setup and legs down it sits @ 1" above the opening of my KP clone. It should work very well for the Kettle Pizza users that have a Baking Steel or a covered grate on the top bolts.

When I did pizzas on the Egg, I tried to get the pies as high as I could in the dome to get the toppings done before the crust burnt.

Not to knock the Eggs, but I kind of prefer the pizza experience of the Weberkettlepizza!

I saw this deflector for an Acorn Grill that would be a good inexpensive alternative to the BGE platesetter that might work in place of the Tombstone. @G19 @SixZeroFour @varekai

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Griller-6201-Smokin-Stone/dp/B009E8NATC

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »
@swamprb, Thanks, I may get it just because its a "gadget"..LOL  I'm actually really happy with my setup.
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »
@swamprb yes thanks

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 02:49:10 AM »
You can also use two weber charcoal baskets to prop up the pizza stone.  Place them upside down under each side of the pizza stone.  You will not have to worry about exploding bricks.