Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mystery Box  (Read 8630 times)

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Mystery Box
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 08:56:19 AM »
OK mystery lovers, here you go. Turns out she was not quite a virgin, but had seen some action in an earlier life. Just the smallest evidence of a cook or two, and I'm pretty sure she did not go all the way. If (when!) we have a vintage show club meet & cook, I'll bring her along and she will once again feel the fire she was born to embrace.

On a less poetic note, I noticed the bowl section was quite heavy, and it came in at 9lbs on my home scale. Anyone know what a current generation bowl weighs? This thing is a tank! I've had good luck with Simi Chrome over the years. I use it on bike parts a lot, and it stays shiny for years. Thanks again to Mr. Packard for the trade. My first "office kettle" is a real beauty!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »

That was said in one of my very 1st posts here.....the older ones outweigh the newer....Mr. Duke shot me full of holes, saying that it's most likely the crusty buildup that increases the weight........

I was thinking about weighing older / newer & also using a micrometer, just to get all scientific & shit....... 8)

PS: Is the SimiChrome an automotive thing, or.....?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
Sharp looking 18 Marty.....seems like both parties are happy.

As for the weight difference between old and new, Im with you and buckie.  I think the older 18s are constructed with a thicker gauge metal and thicker layer of paint than todays models. 

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
Here's a link to SimiChrome - it's a German company, and yes. primarily automotive. I've even used the stuff to polish lacquered wood, it's not too abrasive. Turns your hands black in a hurry, but that means it's working!

http://www.simichrome-polish.com

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »
I've never even touched a micrometer, but I'd swear the late 60s and 'C' 22.5s I've cooked on were heavier and ran hotter. 

I would never question The Duke, but I'd love to see a comparison in weight and dimension of the old vs. the new.

And Marty, that is a real beauty.  Congrats. 
One of the charcoal people.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
I might have a new connection that can answer the elusive kettle weight issue: one of the former metal stamping company owners who did a lot of work for Weber. I'll see if she (yes, SHE) wants to join us for a conversation over a drink or two. Who knows what information we might be able to pry out? I sense a Kettle Club meetup coming up again in Chicago!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
C'mon Buckie! I would never shoot you full a holes! Just maybe a poke er two. ;) I recall on another site the same question was raised......well by me. ::) A few guys chimed in and somehow it was figured out that they were the same minus the buildup. Having said that, we are the WKC and we get to the bottom of these things concerning old kettles! >:( So lets see what we can come up with. :D

Please let us know what "She" says Marty. 8)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »

I really think they are heavier.....we'll get to the bottom of this.....just keep callin' this "the Mystery Thread"

"A few guys chimed in and somehow it was figured out that they were the same minus the buildup."

Who were these "few guys"....names, addresses, DoB, mothers maiden, etc.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
BooooooooooYa Buckster!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P ;D

Smoke this!

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2721-Lid-weight

Buckie= :-X
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:44:08 PM by Duke »

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2013, 07:43:59 PM »
 I think the newer ones are thiner too.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts.  I will get a old 14/18/22/26 and new one on a postage scale and with luck, measured with a micrometer tomorrow.  (not mine, but my neighbor works with medical devices and has some real cool tools in his shop)

I hope some other members can check their inventory and we can compare notes. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:47:19 AM by reillyranch »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
BooooooooooYa Buckster!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P ;D

Smoke this!

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2721-Lid-weight

Buckie= :-X

Still able to search with a closed account....you're magical....... 8)

Nouveau voyage aux isles de l’Amerique, : contenant l’histoire naturelle de ces pays, l’origine, les moeurs, la religion & le gouvernement des habitans anciens & modernes. Les guerres & les evenemens singuliers qui y sont arrivez pendant le séjour que l’auteur y a fait. Par le R.P. Labat, de l’ordre des freres prêcheurs. (1742).   

Yep, that clears things up.................... :D

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2013, 03:54:14 AM »
Sometimes you got to wonder about computers.  That was something I was working on two days ago, how and why it got to this post I don't know.  I don't speak French, I was just searching other Countries history of BBQ.  Old, old, old school BBQ, even eariler than Weber.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2013, 04:15:59 AM »
Marty...its a sharp looking grill for a blackie!  :)  And yes, as far as the Chicago meetup, I'd love to host one by me and have people (that are interested)...in charge of one of my grills and cooking up something they really like to make.  I can picture all these colored grills lined up working hard!
Don't forget I have a bags set and a big fire pit for those that want to stay after it gets dark out.

We just need to pick a date that everyone thinks they can make...I think anytime from the 2nd week in June should be safe from any possibilities of colder weather.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2013, 05:39:13 AM »
Maybe you guys can pull a red 26'r job as part of the festivities. ;)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2013, 06:13:11 AM »
I'll have mine ready to work...so then there might be dual red 26ers workin...
Kettle collector AND cooker!