Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First pork butt  (Read 2535 times)

clb239

• Smokey Joe
First pork butt
« on: July 16, 2016, 02:23:56 PM »
Planning to do my first pork butt tomorrow.

I want to keep the first one pretty simple and will probably just put a rub on it.

How far in advance should I put the rub on. I've seen where some put it on the night before and others do it right before the cook.

I'm not planning to do any injection unless it is recommended.

I will post pics.

Thanks in advance

Clb239

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: First pork butt
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
I rub the night before. No need to inject. There's plenty of fat. Don't get discouraged when you hit the stall. It will pass.
Still need a 22” yellow

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »
I put rub on about 2 hrs before. Don't really matter. Beware of rubs with too much salt. Wrap with plastic wrap after you put rub on.

Good luck sir. It's pretry hard to goof up a pork butt...so fear not.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »
Last one I did, I rubbed the night before. One before, I rubbed it while the temp was coming up. I'm not sure it really matters other than convenience for yourself.

Have fun with your cook!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 09:10:21 PM »
I remember my first butt! It was the "Renown Mr. Brown" from Smoke and Spice. Too spicy for my young family at the time!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:44:18 AM »
I always got the best bark by rubbing and wrapping the  night before, letting sit in the fridge and then giving a second rub right before putting it in the cooker.

So how was the cook?
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

clb239

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:09:02 PM »
I am very pleased with  the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 08:27:40 PM »
Great bark. Fun experience, right!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

clb239

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 03:27:07 AM »
It was a good experience. When temp finally goes up after the stall was a good feeling.

One question, the internal temp dropped a few degrees during the stall. Is that normal?

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 09:35:37 AM »
Very unlikely for the temp to drop while underway.  Most likely your probe tip hit a bone or fat vein.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
It was a good experience. When temp finally goes up after the stall was a good feeling.

One question, the internal temp dropped a few degrees during the stall. Is that normal?

I have had butts and brisket drop a degree or two every now and then.  I think it is from the fat finally melting which actually causes a cooling effect.  And I here you on the stall....it can be a bit nerve racking especially with briskets which will sometimes stall for 2+ hours.  A lot of people wrap at the stall so they don't have to have their heads messed with!  LOL
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!