Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Most extreme Score to date - Green MBH in the land of no good kettles  (Read 8651 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
I was going to wait till I clean it up and post maybe tomorrow, but could not contain my excitement to show and tell.

8hrs on the road to get this.  MrHoss and MacEggs has PMed me to go get this as I was closer to it  and also were just as excited as I was to get it.   As MrHoss put it " Great Score for the team!!!" 

I was lucky enough to score nice 79 faded black MBH few weeks ago for $25... and now this for $30. Kettle God must be on my side.

This is the Sellers Ad. description and the pics.   From the description, it sounded like the bottom part of the bowl might be rusted out with all 3 vents detached, but I was determined to go get it no matter what the condition it was in. In person it is in surprisingly in good condition with only one vent off and the ash disc is in perfect condition.  Exterior lid needs to be cleaned real good to assess how good it is but no dings on it. bowl also needs good clean but few chips but no dings.

Weber kettle barbecue. Basic model: three x three-hole air vents, disc ash catcher below them. It's been lovingly used over the years (and with excellent results until just a week ago when the new barbecue arrived). It still has many more years left. But with compromises. The bottom air vents' rotary covers have come off, so there's no controlling the heat except for the top vent (whose rotary cover is fully functional), and there's no shutting down to conserve the coals if you're finished cooking and they still have some life left in them. The coal grate is bowed and could use a replacement, but not necessarily this summer. The grill could use a good clean and oiling. IN OTHER WORDS: it's functional (as I say: it was our mainstay until recently), but could use some TLC. It'll do nicely as a standalone cooker, or you might wish to relegate it to overflow barbecuing when the crowd gets too large for your main kettle. Thanks.

The seller is a Grillfella with a new Crimson kettle.  I let him know of this forums and it looks like he will be joining shortly. I did let him know that this is pretty rare vintage kettle and he was more than happy to pass it on to me as he is not a kettle collector.  He even gave me an extra black MBH lid he had.

From what I understand from talking to the seller ... ironically  no one would buy this on other classified ad he had on. People backing out and showing no interest.  Even on this ad. he had one interested party besides me in almost 1.5 days on.  MacEggs and MrHoss had their reasons and with travel even farther than me probably did not even inquire about it.

I will clean it up and post before and after pics with reattached vent. I can't wait to see how she will look all cleaned up.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
What an amazing find, can't wait to see this all cleaned up.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Yes. We were hoping you'd convert this find. That there is a special Kettle dude.

Edit: Just read the part at the end about Mac and I "probably not inquire about it". We didn't....that would have muddied the water for you....possibly driving the price up and even cancelling the deal. I believe it best that only one of "us" be on any given find.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:42:13 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Wow, great teamwork on that one.  Love the green and an really looking forward to seeing the clean up.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Congrats on being part of the exclusive green mbh club.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Congrats. Great kettle.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Craig

• WKC Mod
Congratulations on a grail of a find! I'm still looking for one of these. Can't wait to see it all cleaned up.

Geezer

• WKC Brave
Great find.  Can't wait to see the "after" pictures.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Very cool find. Looking forward to the after's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
That is a neat old kettle. Congratulations on getting that after such a long haul.

charred

• WKC Performer
Re: Most extreme Score to date - Green MBH in the land of no good kettles
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:18:39 AM »
Nice. Not too many of those around!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 06:49:20 AM »
Wow.  I've never seen that color green.  I can't wait to see it cleaned up.  Great score!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 06:59:42 AM »
Congrats on being part of the exclusive green mbh club.

And welcome to the club     8)

Is there a date code on the vent?

Dude, relax your chicken.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:43 AM »
Holy fuck I still can't believe that showed up in Ontario!!!!!! Hahahhaha hahahah ah ahah ah ahah ah ah ahhahaha h ah ah ahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahaaaa. Oh man. This is great!!!!!

Got a email a couple days ago from Mac and about fell off my chair. He saw it first thing in the morning and passed it off as he had to work. I am still recuperating and the air con. in my van is shot so a 5 plus hour drive each way in this heat did not look good. So I told Mac to pass the find onto Greenweb...he did but the man was already on it by that point. These rare old Webers turn up very rarely in our neck of the woods....having them wind up in one of "our" hands is all the more important.

Dazzo and 6 each have a Green 22 MBH. Now Mr GreenWeb does too.....is that it? Are there but 3 of these?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 07:47:29 AM »
I still don't believe this actually happened! A greenie from the great white north! 😮

Congrats on a sweet score!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E