Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need some advice on timing a 6.5lb butt  (Read 3625 times)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: Need some advice on timing a 6.5lb butt
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Glad your cook went well. You may wanna recant your statement about Aussie bbq. We got some hardcore award winning bbq artists here with some friggin awesome collections. But then again...it may just be your friends experience with bbq and that's ok too. Send em to @Jocool. He can set em straight.

Also, try to add in some rub when breaking the pork apart. It will help with the flavor alot. Just don't add to much.

Good point, my comments on Aussie BBQ weren't intended to be inflammatory (no pun intended).
I'm feeling inflamed....😂😂😂😂😂

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk

If it breathes, we can cook it!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 08:29:46 PM »
Winner winner, pulled pork dinner! How much sleep were you able to get, before running out of fuel? I've done a bakers dozen butts, but getting some ideas from this thread. Yet to do an overnight cook.
Still need a 22” yellow

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 11:59:18 PM »
Winner winner, pulled pork dinner! How much sleep were you able to get, before running out of fuel? I've done a bakers dozen butts, but getting some ideas from this thread. Yet to do an overnight cook.

Prepped 22wsm at 7pm. I put a starter cube on the bottom before the coals and line up the charcoal ring and vent hole so I can stick my lighter in there and light cube. Start fire at 8. Check temps and place pork on at 9. Set alarm for 2am. Remove pork butt and place in foil pan, place in oven. Go back to sleep until dogs wake me up for breakfast. Feed dogs. Check IT. Place in cooler. Rest until I'm ready.

I have found that with the vortex ring on the charcoal grate I run out of fuel around 2am. I put it in the oven cuz I just don't want to mess with it. The couple times I did an over night cook entirely on the wsm I got crap sleep and I was a friggin zombie at the events I was cooking for. When I'm tired I snap at people..namely my wife, and it's not fair to her that I'm being an asshole cuz I made the choice to stay up all night. I prefer that she looks forward to the food not a fight.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Need some advice on timing a 6.5lb butt
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 03:09:35 PM »
I started the coals at 2am, kept the temp at approx 250 and when I checked again at 8:30 am, I was surprised to see I still had plenty of fuel to go.  I probably had 40%~50% of coals left.  I'm not sure if that's normal, but I'm impressed with how efficiently the WSM burned. 

I was definitely hesitant to attempt an overnighter, but I made sure to dial in the temp before I went to bed.  I didn't just light the coals and walk away. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 03:15:34 PM by Mr.CPHo »