Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Clean/prep greasy wood slats  (Read 3555 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
Clean/prep greasy wood slats
« on: July 09, 2016, 06:28:49 AM »
Putting the finishing touches on my Genesis 3000 but sanding and staining the wood slats. I began sanding the bottom slats to find the 'dirtiness' seems to be grease/grill gunk as my sand paper was getting caked and ruined the sandpaper.

Any suggestions on how to get this gunk off without comprising the integrity of the wood? Can I spray a healthy layer of simple green and try to scrape/scrub it off? I could pressure wash but that sounds like a pain in the @$$ since the slats are small/light. Open to suggestions..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Clean/prep greasy wood slats
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »
You might hit them with some Dawn dish washing soap or anything else that's good at breaking down grease. In the end, sandpaper will always win but yeah, you might have to go through some more first. You got a machine, maybe like a Black n Decker Mouse? The machine's work can help overcome worn sandpaper, in a way.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
You might hit them with some Dawn dish washing soap or anything else that's good at breaking down grease. In the end, sandpaper will always win but yeah, you might have to go through some more first. You got a machine, maybe like a Black n Decker Mouse? The machine's work can help overcome worn sandpaper, in a way.

+1. Give dish soap and a brush a try. The detergent should work well for pulling up some of the grease. Also try it with hot water.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
Agree with the above comments...

Hot water
Dish detergent
3M pad
Elbow grease

Don't go full retard with the 3M pad because you will be sanding the wood as you scrub.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 01:25:40 PM »
I've done a lot of wooden yard furniture with pressure washer cleanup. The pressure washer will give a good cleanup, but will raise kind of a knap on the wood. And you really need to wait a week for the wood to dry before painting.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 05:30:30 AM »
.... And you really need to wait a week for the wood to dry before painting.

If they're wet from rinsing off, put 'em on a drying rack in the house. The A/C air will dry them out fast, like 2-3 days max.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 05:40:28 PM »
Agree with the above comments...

Don't go full retard with the 3M pad because you will be sanding the wood as you scrub.
FLMAO!!
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 01:05:19 PM »
Sorry to be so late to the party @jdefran.  You may have already solved your problem.

If not, you can strip the wood with Soy Gel.  I restore old military gunstocks.  Those have been caked in years of grease and dirt.  Soy Gel strips it all off with no sanding.  Wood is ready for staining and sealing.

https://www.amazon.com/BLUE-Paint-Urethane-Stripper-Quart/dp/B0002Z11MY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476651782&sr=8-2&keywords=soy+gel

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
Soy? I've never heard of that use for it.

"It's a sauce!" "No, It's a paint stripper!"

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »
It's great stuff.  Really strips the wood, but not nearly as harsh as a chemical stripper like Jasco.  Jasco will burn your fingerprints off......ask me how I know.  Great for restoring wood.

Whit

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 03:32:52 AM »
I use Oxy-Clean to remove the mildew on my Cedar decking once a year, so why not soak some of the grey painted slats in a solution?? Loosened all the greasy and mildew, scrubbed with a nylon brush, let dry and some look good as new, the weathered ones were very easy to sand and stain. YMMV
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!