Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a belated birthday gift for my son....  (Read 1644 times)

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
Picked up a belated birthday gift for my son....
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »
He turned 6 in June and we've been on the grills almost everyday this summer and he's starting to show a keen interest in this thing of ours and it got me thinking....

I know this is a different time than the late 70's and early 80's in which I have as raised, but I got my first .22 rifle and Official Boy Scouts of America rod and reel for my 5th birthday and bagged my first pheasant that year and had taken down my first boar(with a .38 Special; Dad, uncles and their friends were police) at the age of 6 and half(that half was important!).

One of my fondest memories is bringing our kills/catches home and cleaning and dressing them in the backyard.  I don't much remember the taste of that first pheasant, but I distinctly remember telling my dad that the grilled boar tasted just like pork chips only better.

I don't have the money for a garage full of Harleys or safe full of fancy guns like my dad and ready access to a free range to practice shooting as we did, but I picked up an 18.5-in kettle for $30 and I can certainly teach my son to barbecue and maybe give him a sip of a cold one when my wife isn't looking, just like Dad used to do.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
Re: Picked up a belated birthday gift for my son....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »
Very cool! Just a few weeks ago I bought my daughter a play grill (which happened to be a weber 18) . Paid more than you did but it was also new and too nice to pass up.
Check it out here.http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/daughters-new-toy/msg230604/#msg230604
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
Getting him started early. I love it!
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »
@WhaleinaTeardrop @DonoBBQ , EXCELLENT stories, I hope a long love of cooking ensues, be it grilling or otherwise, nothing like cooking it yourself for yourself or friends and family!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:47:49 AM »
You might have to share this with some of the other Dad's here, but today it is yours!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »
Love these stories.  They make me look forward to the transition from teaching my girls "hot, don't touch" to cooking with them.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"