Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Camping and Pizza  (Read 3443 times)

smokster

• WKC Brave
Camping and Pizza
« on: August 20, 2016, 08:15:08 AM »
Spent a few days camping on the beach last week.

Had to cook some Pizza for my Camping friends.
Cooked 4 pies, 2 were gone before I could get a photo (happens sometimes when drinking Vodka).

This was my 4th time cooking pizza in a Jumbo Joe, and I am still learning how to balance the top and bottom heat.

I used a pizza pan to slow the bottom cooking while still not getting enough top browning.

Sausage, red bell pepper from my garden, and pepperoncini

Apple pie pizza:

Cheers

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Camping and Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:22:44 AM »
Looks great!!!!  I can't wait to be on the beach in a few weeks!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 06:10:53 PM »
Thanks Mike.

Enjoy your time on the beach!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 06:25:20 PM »

Spent a few days camping on the beach last week.

Had to cook some Pizza for my Camping friends.
Cooked 4 pies, 2 were gone before I could get a photo (happens sometimes when drinking Vodka).

This was my 4th time cooking pizza in a Jumbo Joe, and I am still learning how to balance the top and bottom heat.

I used a pizza pan to slow the bottom cooking while still not getting enough top browning.

Sausage, red bell pepper from my garden, and pepperoncini

Apple pie pizza:

Cheers

Pies look great.  Would love to hear any suggestions on using a jumbo joe while camping.  Do you bring a chimney?  I'm currently experimenting with the snake method in my JJ now for slow cooking in a dutch oven.  Would be awesome to come back from a long hike to chili or something similar.  Any tips or suggestions from your camp-cooking experiences?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 01:29:21 PM »
Great use of your Jumbo Joe and PizzaQue!
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 07:35:29 AM »
Seeing this and having a couple 18.5" grills I may just go with the PizzaQue. Here's my question though. Do you keep the top vent open or closed? Will that affect the flow of the heat over the pie? What position did you have it in?  Thanks!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »
Mr.CPHo - I did bring my full size chimney. 
Great idea on the DO in the JJ with a snake, let me know how it works out as I am a big fan of cast iron.
This was my first trip with the JJ and I only used it for the one pizza cook (on my other night to cook I did a tri-tip on the Q120).

Garvinque - Thanks.

Yendor - bottom vent full open and top vent closed, I am having a hard time with this set up getting enough top heat.
Likely I just need more fire management practice.

Cheers

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 03:57:20 AM »
Great location to spend a few days and make pizza for your friends! Nice work with the JJ, pizzas look terrific!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »
How'd that apple pie pizza turn out?  Cook about the same time as a regular pie or longer for the apples?  Looks great!

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 04:48:37 PM »
Jason - Thanks.

Grizz - The apple pizza pie was very good.
pizza dough, apple pie filling, streusel topping, dried blueberries, and candied pecans.
Cooked the same as any other pizza.  Served warm.

Cheers,

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Camping and Pizza
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:10:53 AM »
Mr.CPHo - I did bring my full size chimney. 
Great idea on the DO in the JJ with a snake, let me know how it works out as I am a big fan of cast iron.
@smokster, not to hijack your thread on pizzas, but I wanted to share my results with you for DO cooking inside a JJ with a snake.  I built a snake 3 briquettes tall about 3/4 around the JJ.  This left sufficient space for a 5qt DO to fit in the middle with an inch of airspace between the cast iron and the snake.  The snake burned for more than 12 hours at around 275F.  I made carnitas with a 9# pork shoulder inside the DO, and after about 10 hours, I could pull the bone out with ease, super tender.

Because the briquettes were stacked three high, the upper most layer of charcoal didn't burn completely due to the amount of ash created by the bottom two layers.  Lesson learned - next time I'll space out the coals to allow more airspace.  Still giddy from my successful experiment, I decided to try extending the snake with more space between the layers.  Then used the remaining juices from the carnitas to make menudo overnight.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with my first experimental setup for low-n-slow cooking in the JJ.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:17:07 AM by Mr.CPHo »

smokster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »
@Mr. CPHo  - I love caritas, and that looks great.

Your 5qt DO looks like a good fit.
Thanks for the info, I am ordering the same DO from Amazon right now.

Happy camping!