Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I need your help with a 3LB Cornbeef  (Read 1276 times)

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
I need your help with a 3LB Cornbeef
« on: June 30, 2016, 11:25:05 AM »
I've got a 3LB Corn beef in the freezer I'm planning to cook for a buddy and myself. Wife hates corn beef. I'm planning to put it on the smoker. I've read about soaking the salt out before smoking and ending up with a pastrami like result. Small flat brisket and I don't have a lot of experience with brisket anyway. Anybody got any tips or recipes  for a 3Lber?
Thanks for your help!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: I need your help with a 3LB Cornbeef
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »
Soak in water for 24 hour (I did one and soaked for about 12 hours and it was fine) to remove some of the salt from it.  Change the water serveral times.  When I did mine, I rubbed mine with a little bit of Dijon on the cook side up part of the corned beef, then used the seasoning packet that came with it for the rub.  I think I gave the seasonings a quick pulse in the blender or food processor to make it stretch a little further and make it less chunky, then I smoked it just like a brisket.  It's done when it's probe tender.  I don't remember if it had to get to as high of an internal temp as doing a regular brisket but I'm sure someone else will chime in.   My girlfreind really likes pastrami and said it came out really good.

I used this recipe as my basic guidance, but didn't do any of the steaming part.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:03:29 PM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »
I didn't think about it too much.

Love pastrami, so I figured heck, I have a kettle, or seven or eight, I can do this.

I think It was a little short of three pounds.

Put a little Montreal on it (I know), lit the snake with a couple small pieces of apple wood and let 'er go.

Yes, a little salty, but sliced on bread it was great. 

Next time, just cracked pepper, but I'll do it the same.
Dude, relax your chicken.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
Mike gave a pretty good guideline. These things are meant to be boiled, so they are SALTY. Soak that mother and change the water often.
Still need a 22” yellow