Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Think I should go for this?  (Read 1381 times)

Titus

• Smokey Joe
Think I should go for this?
« on: June 25, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
For the last...Well over a year, I think close to 2...This poor Weber Smokey Joe has sat in this pile of bushes infront of this house. They now almost completely hide it, and I don't think they have used it in a handful of years.

While I don't have a great need for another Smokey Joe, I'd rather get it and either gift it or restore it and find use for it down the line. I was thinking about just stopping by and saying something about not seeing it used much, and ask if I could give them like 15 bucks for it.

Sound like a good idea? Don't see why they'd say not.From the road, it looks older. So i'm also pretty curious...
1995 EO Smokey Joe, Ol' Smokey. EE Mastertouch 1999 Redhead, Big Red. AT 2013 OTG.(No name yet) 2016 Walmart Special, Wally.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Think I should go for this?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 06:25:46 PM »
They can always just tell you to get the fuck out of here....If they don't you'll end up with a grill...

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Titus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
Sure could. Don't know them, but they live just down the road.

I either get a grill out of it or nothing, and lose barely anything in the process either way...

Heck, I'm mostly just curious to get a look at it and give it a good home.
1995 EO Smokey Joe, Ol' Smokey. EE Mastertouch 1999 Redhead, Big Red. AT 2013 OTG.(No name yet) 2016 Walmart Special, Wally.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
I'd catch them outside sometime and say hi. Strike up a conversation.  I wouldn't March up to their front door asking to buy their grill.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Titus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 06:40:12 PM »
Yeah I think that's the best approach. They have a camper outside they seem to hang in and have a few drinks in, and they have various get togethers outside. I think they probably forgot the kettle, as it's off to the side, or they upgraded (Pretty sure I spotted a large gasser off the other side of the house) sizewise.

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
Yeah try not to be confrontational unless it's a Glen Blue Imperial,  then it's worth fighting for! 😃

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

Titus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »
I'd probably walk up with the cash visibly in hand.

:P

That or I'd just try to cool face it and act like "Oh, you know that ol' hunk of metal over there...I mean, I could use a grill.....Want a few bucks for it?"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 09:17:21 PM »
I'd probably walk up with the cash visibly in hand.

:P

That or I'd just try to cool face it and act like "Oh, you know that ol' hunk of metal over there...I mean, I could use a grill.....Want a few bucks for it?"

I be just considerate and use honest approach.  Go introduce yourself as a neighbor.  Tell them you noticed that grill in the bush for awhile and was wondering if they use it at all.  If not being used, tell them you would be interested and wanted to ask if they are willing to part with it.  Who knows! They might just ask for $5 to take it away or give it to you for free because you asked and showed interest.

If they bring it out to show you, quickly asses if it is just old reg. SJ or Vintage SJ with wooden handles and 3 bottom vents.  If it is latter, keep your cool and see what they want for it as you are just trying to help them get rid of it. If not, offer them what your are willing to pay.  I would start low as this might be something that they are willing to get rid of anyways.  I doubt it but If they say that it is used and stored in bush for convenience, no use going any further as good used SJ come up for sale fairly cheap anyways.

I would not go in with cash in hand offering as they might think they have something valuable and have negative results.  At same time, I would not use second approach as it might have some sentimental value to them. They might get offended and get yourself kicked out.