Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Killa Grilla 22.5" SS cooking grate  (Read 7864 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Killa Grilla 22.5" SS cooking grate
« on: June 20, 2016, 05:18:30 AM »
<fixed typo in subject line>

In TN today, browsing craigslist ... didn't bite, but stumbled on this. It's a hand-made stainless steel cook grate for the 22. As you can see it's not a flip grate. But, it's made from 1/4" 304 SS. Made in TN, $67 Just Google the name if interested, it's a little under the radar (partly because of the name? but on Etsy/FB/Nashville CL ... there's a company web site but it's not listed there.

So I'm interested, because I don't use my flip grates, anyway (to add charcoal during a long cook.)

And that kicked in my neurosis ... why am I not "needing" to cook longer/add charcoal during cooking? Dammit, I have the feature, why not use it, right?

Do I need to make new friends and cook all day long, adding fuel throughout the day creating a never-ending stream of burgers and dogs for all humanity?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 03:52:38 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Kills Grilla 22.5" SS cooking grate
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 05:50:42 AM »
Lol, that is a good looking grate. Definitely would be curious to try it. Is this cheaper then the stainless weber sells now? I don't really use flip grates either. When I smoke I use the snake and never need it long enough to have to refill.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/274497870/215-round-bbq-stainless-grill-cooking?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=stainless%20grill%20grate&ref=sr_gallery_1

https://www.etsy.com/shop/KillaGrilla?ref=l2-shop-info-name
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 06:00:15 AM »

As Sheldon on the Big Bang would say, "Sarcasm"? I take it you do not cook whole turkeys or large roasts @addicted-to-smoke ?  I usually can get away cooking a whole chicken without adding briquettes but anything that requires a cook time longer than 1 hour 20 minutes requires adding additional briquettes.  If you have never done a whole turkey on the Weber with a little apple wood, you are really missing out.  Once I did my first one, have not had an oven cooked turkey since at Thanksgiving.

@mhiszem - The SS grate from Weber (part #80728) is $72 delivered. Bought one a couple of months ago.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:06:02 AM »
No I haven't done many longer cooks. But I have a rotisserie for it, does that count if I need to add coals for a turkey? Assuming you could rotisserie a turkey ...

As it is, I already fight surface rust on my normal grate. If I got something like this and used the GBS even less, it would be worse. Decisions, decisions ...
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 06:28:40 AM »
No I haven't done many longer cooks. But I have a rotisserie for it, does that count if I need to add coals for a turkey? Assuming you could rotisserie a turkey ...

As it is, I already fight surface rust on my normal grate. If I got something like this and used the GBS even less, it would be worse. Decisions, decisions ...

I have not used a rotisserie yet either. I just acquired a free one a week ago on CL though and will use it shortly. I have always cooked the turkey on the grate.  When cooking indirect, Weber recommends adding 8 briquettes per side, per hour. The cook time for a turkey is roughly 11 minutes per pound. I would think the same rules would apply to a rotisserie done turkey.  What say you members that have cooked a turkey on a rotisserie?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Kills Grilla 22.5&quot; SS cooking grate
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 06:34:02 AM »
Having a ss grate would be nice, but I would like the flip grate also. I don't use them often, but invariably forget to add a drip pan or want to move a basket somewhere else. They do come in handy.

That being said, trying to juggle a grate off to the side to add coals with a rack of ribs and a thermometer wire feeding in there somewhere is a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 06:52:11 AM »
Having a ss grate would be nice, but I would like the flip grate also. I don't use them often, but invariably forget to add a drip pan or want to move a basket somewhere else. They do come in handy.

That being said, trying to juggle a grate off to the side to add coals with a rack of ribs and a thermometer wire feeding in there somewhere is a bitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Weber SS grate has the flip up panels @Travis. Here is a link with a photo comparisons to the gourmet grate:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/ss-cooking-grate-for-the-22'/msg222038/#msg222038

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
 Grates wouldn't normally enter a discussion of rotisserie. Except maybe: "Remove cooking grate before adding rotisserie ring."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:24:38 AM by Jon »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Kills Grilla 22.5" SS cooking grate
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »
@Cellar2ful. I e seen those from weber and priced them. Sounds like it's heavy duty stuff.

Jim, you'll love that rotisserie. I can't tell you about the times for a turkey, but a 5 lb chicken is generally 1 1/2 hour at a medium high heat (375-400).

What I can say is there is no need to brine or anything. The moisture is through the roof with the self basting it does, and make sure to use a drip pan. It will make a mess if you don't. Looking forward to see yours in action, brother! Thanks for the link as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 03:25:30 AM by Travis »

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 10:58:54 AM »
This is a nice SS option.  It's pretty much identical to Weber's hinged grate but is made of 304 SS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6FEXNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 12:50:19 AM »
@ABCbarbecue ordered one. Thanks. My sister is going to buy it for me.

soobaerodude

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 08:59:33 AM »
This is a nice SS option.  It's pretty much identical to Weber's hinged grate but is made of 304 SS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6FEXNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice, a more reasonable alternative to the Weber 80728 SS grate.  On a side note, the supposedly-stainless-steel Grill Care 17436 has disappeared from Amazon.  Searching for that part points to the regular Weber 7436 plated grate

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »
Interesting.  That's much cheaper.  Can someone who understands ore products explain whether 304 ss is better or crappier than what Weber uses?

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 05:48:05 PM »
I was not able to find what grade of stainless weber uses on their grates. Chances are if they don't directly call out the grade it is a cheaper grade. Are the weber ss grates magnetic? That would be a give away that they are a cheaper grade.

This article has a decent description of ss in the grill world.
http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/understand_stainless_steel.html
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Re: Killa Grilla 22.5&quot; SS cooking grate
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 06:05:57 AM »
I sent him a msg that I want the ss grate. How long does it take to get a response?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app