Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Couple Pies on Victoria Day  (Read 3096 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
A Couple Pies on Victoria Day
« on: May 23, 2016, 06:20:03 PM »
I had not used my KettlePizza adaptor for quite some time.  This long weekend seemed like the perfect occasion.

Had no pizza sauce on hand, so I decided to make some. 
I think next time I will not drain the liquid from the tomato can.
And, hopefully remember to add some more fresh seasoning and such.

Everything went into the blender, and voila, pizza sauce was created.

Got all of the toppings ready …. Next time, more cheese.

Here is my kettle pizza set-up.  I personally think that having extra kettles on hand for this is essential.
The KP kettle in the foreground,
followed by the kettle that is used to hold the KP adaptor while the lit charcoal is being dumped into the aforementioned kettle,
and then the kettle to hold all of the lids.

I decided to light a full chimney of Maple Leaf briquets.  Usually I go with lump, but these briqs are excellent.  Sugar maple wood for extra heat.

On the top part, I went with a thin piece of aluminum plus some fire brick.

The bowl turns a very, very dark red …

I let Mother Nature pre-heat the pizza stone (kiln shelf) …. Not sure if this does much.

I do not like to put the pizza in when it is doing this … I let it die down some ….

That's better …

I used Bobby Flay's pizza dough (PD) recipe.  Very easy to follow and do.  I will be using this PD recipe again.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html

I gotta say … I suck at building pizza.  Way too much sauce on this one.  My wife made the second one, and it was much better.

Once the stone is heated up nice, I think the KP unit cooks the best at around 550-600° …. That's been my experience.

I remembered how much fun it is to create your own pizza and cook them outside on a Weber kettle.   :D 8)

Thanks for looking.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
Re: A Couple Pies on Victoria Day
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »
Nice pies! 8)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 08:17:14 PM »
Look tasty!  Sauce and toppings look great.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

clemdawg

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
Great pies

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:27:04 PM »
So getting one of these rigs. I'm inspired.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 06:06:14 AM »
Nice setup MacEggs. Your pizza looks great!
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 08:55:14 AM »
I totally agree about needing some extra kettles around for holding things.  Last night my 26er was for holding the lid from my SS Performer and my kettle gaser was for holding the KP with the grate in it.  Your pizzas look great!  I've found with the sauce that less is better.  I normally like a lot of sauce on pizzas but since I've been making my own I found that lots of sauce slows down cooking and usually results in the crust burning before the sauce and cheese can get good a bubbly.  You are also correct about using all of the sauce in the can when using whole tomatoes.  I've made that mistake and didn't have enough sauce for all of the pizzas I was making.  It looks like you are fairly good and making round pies!  This has been a problem for me.

Great cook and write up!  Looking forward to your next round of pies!  You reminded my that I like sliced tomatoes on pizza and will have to make sure to do that next time.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!