Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to post pictures here at the WKC  (Read 154524 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
How to post pictures here at the WKC
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:08:08 PM »
Okay, I'm gonna make this a new thread and I will make this as painless as possible.  I am no computer wiz so I had to find a way to make it easy for me.  I used to use Imageshack but I hate them and they tried to rip me off and they are horrible so I would advise against them.  I have pictures on Imageshack so sometimes I have to go there to get old pictures but I don't put anything there anymore.  There are 100 ways to do this but this is what "I" found easy.  I'm sure there will be a bunch of suggestions but I am doing this for those who are having trouble posting.  I also want to do this because I love pictures and I want to see what everyone has. 

Now I won't go into the whole thing of digital cameras, I am starting from the point you have digital pictures in a folder on your computer somewhere and you want to put them on the site.  I use and recommend photobucket.  I have heard people complain about this site but I have found it very easy to use, and it's free.  So go get a photobucket account and log in.  At the top of the screen you will see a tab that says "UPLOAD" 

Click on upload and you will see a large box that says "drag and drop your pictures and video pictures here".  So drag your pictures there...  if you don't want to drag them, then click browse files, and go browse for your file.

Drag them in there and they should start to upload.  When they seem to be done uploading click on the "LIBRARY" tab at the top left.  In the library you should see your images. 

When you see the image you want, hover your cursor over the image and a gear will show up in the right hand corner of the small image.  If you click on that gear a menu will show up.

Once the menu shows up, scroll down and click on "GET LINKS...."

When you click on get links, the links will show up in a menu that looks like this.....

It will have a list of four different choices.  The bottom one says IMG codes (for forums, boards)  click on that one.  Once you click on it, it will turn yellow and say "copied".  Now all you need to do is come back to this site and paste that into your new topic or your response.  So just right click and paste.  Then once you post your message here it will show up. 

One other thing you can do is if you want to see you picture better to chose the best one, you can go into your library, click on the picture, not the gear.  You picture will pop up and appear large.  On the lower right side you will see the same list of codes, click the IMG code and it will say copied and it will be ready to paste it here.

As I said there is a million ways to do it.  But I find this works very easy for me.  Now that this info is available...I never want to see some dumb link, I WANT TO SEE PICTURES!  ;)
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: How to post pictures here at the WKC
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 08:11:36 PM »
I'll have to give photobucket a try. Imageshack has been acting weird for me lately.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
Did they steal your money too?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »
I havn't given them a dime. They just upload my photos from my phone all weird. I've never paid for anything. What happened with yours?

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:26:54 AM »
Just wanted to add, for any one with a smart phone the photobucket app is just as easy to use as the full site if not easier, You can take a pic , upload it and post it within a minute.
It automatically makes the pic the correct size and saves you having to load it on you hard drive
Its fairly basic though, you can't edit or adjust your pic, but it is free
Press upload, choose 'existing camera', tap on the photo you want to upload, once uploaded tap on albums, tap which photo you want to post then you just need to press the 'i' on the bottom right of the screen

That then takes you to img code

Tap on img code and it automatically copies , then paste in your post
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:55:10 AM by Hogsy »
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 05:46:08 AM »
Thanks for posting that Brian. I use Picasaweb which is now being morphed into Google+. I need to look into how to post pictures from Google+ so I'll work on adding a post that outlines that procedure.

Edit: Test - See if you can see this picture:

Please PM me the answer. I prefer not to clutter this thread with discussion but rather keep it focused on the subject of posting pictures.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:50:37 AM by HankB »
kettles, smokers...

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
Great info, guys!  I use tapatalk for android for 90 percent of my forum usage.  I love it and it also makes photo posting silly easy, it even hosts files like photobucket and the other sites. Then again, I take all my pics with my android.....

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:42:36 PM »
This thread should be moved to the "website issues" subforum, yes?

As for "How to post pictures here at the WKC" (or anywhere else that uses similar forum software):

1) Copy your image's full URL from wherever/however you're hosting it.
2) Hit the "insert image" button in your forum post or reply and you should see "img" tags with your cursor in between.
3) Paste.

I'm currently hosting images from my Dropbox account. Any image you put into your Public folder will have a publicly-usable URL available. Just right-click on the file to get it. If you need to edit the image after putting it there, as long you retain the same filename it won't break the URL if you've already posted it somewhere.

But to help fix the rat's nest of junk that accumulates in my Public folder I made a subfolder named Images and you can do more subfolders. Get the file's URL after storing it where you want and it'll work this way here too. In other words don't post the URL and a week later say, "Hmm, I should really move this file somewhere else ..." >> broken URL, image no longer viewable online.

Keep in mind you're storing stuff in Dropbox just like you would on your computer, because it IS on your computer, so if you've transferred an original image from your smartphone or camera to it it'll be far too big to post in any forum, both in flle size and in pixel size. My current method is to snap an image from my iPhone and use the Dropbox app to copy to Dropbox in the cloud ... which automagically downloads it to my computer where I can edit it and share it with you lot.

Here's 500MB extra if you decide to join (it's much more/different than a regular image hoster) http://db.tt/YkVqoBE
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:44:29 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 01:21:34 PM »
Photobucket is what I use.  Same principle, but it's just for pictures. 

I have it setup with my phone to send pics I take to my photobucket folder and then I use the photobucket app to generate the img url.  Simple copy and paste and Im done.
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 11:17:40 AM »
I am using dropbox to store my pictures.  To post from dropbox:

Highlight the photo in your dropbox folder
Choose "share dropbox link" from the menu
Click the "Insert an image" command in your post on WKC
Paste the dropbox link
You have to edit the dropbox link by replacing "www" in the link with "dl"  This provides a direct link to your picture (example below)

From:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/490cj6i74slahmw/IMG_1988.jpg

To:     https://dl.dropbox.com/s/490cj6i74slahmw/IMG_1988.jpg

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 04:01:26 AM »
Yes, the goal of any forum poster is to be able to do what's called "hot-linking", where the forum's software directly pulls the image into, and inline with, the thread's text.

The availability (or I should say, the willingness) of the image hosting company to allow this diminishes all the time, because every time the thread's page is accessed, the images load and that uses the image host's bandwidth. They generally want something in return, which is why when you "share" the image's link from say, Flickr, the URL is really an html page showing the image + Flickr advertising. (Maybe there's a way around that however.)

Same thing with Dropbox, as of last year.

... You have to edit the dropbox link by replacing "www" in the link with "dl"  This provides a direct link to your picture ...

That's fantastic! I stopped using Dropbox for image hosting because they'd changed it so that the www links can't be hot-linked. They clearly want to discourage this "extra" bandwidth usage without the marketing aspect ... so I wonder for how much longer they'll allow the dl links to be hot-linked.

I still recommend Dropbox overall, and for lots of uses, but this part annoys me --- particularly since they made a big deal last year about storing images with them, automatically uploading images when a camera is connected etc.

I resisted Photobucket but since they actively promote hot-linking as a feature, I think I'll stick with them a bit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 12:27:37 PM »
i know this is a very old thread... sorry to bring it back up.  Been a long while since i have posted a picture.  is photobucket preferred over imageshack with most now?  i would hope to do something simple and easy from my NONapple phone.  just asking before i download on my phone...since i am not tech savvy and probably would not know how to delete what i don't need, etc etc. 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »
i know this is a very old thread... sorry to bring it back up.  Been a long while since i have posted a picture.  is photobucket preferred over imageshack with most now?  i would hope to do something simple and easy from my NONapple phone.  just asking before i download on my phone...since i am not tech savvy and probably would not know how to delete what i don't need, etc etc.

actually  I prefer pics.weberkettleclub.com ;)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 12:47:17 PM »

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 12:48:45 PM »
its a link...... not a picture.  i missed something.  but damn..... freaking cool.