Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe to Mini-WSM  (Read 8493 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Smokey Joe to Mini-WSM
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:32:10 PM »
I hope this is ok to post if not let me know and remove it.

I bought a Smokey Joe Gold awhile back and made into a Mini-WSM the nice thing is it can still be used as a grill :) it works real good, i can run quite a long time on a load of charcoal.  My charcoal basket is a SS colander with some of the holes drilled out bigger for better air movement.  I cut out the bottom of the tamale pot(32qt) and put the steamer tray down in the bottom as a diffuser. I installed two grates, one about 3" down and the other about 5" below that. When i want to shut it down after cooking i just have to close the bottom vents and the top vent and it snuffs it right out.

Here it is cooking away  :)

And the fatty i was doing on it

Finished!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
Re: Smokey Joe to Mini-WSM
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
I have a SJ Gold that I rarely use, now I found a way to get more use out of it!
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
Nice smoker Ron! Larry, you won't be sorry. I sold my wsm after using one of these a few times. I can't say enough good things about it.

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
Nice smoker Ron! Larry, you won't be sorry. I sold my wsm after using one of these a few times. I can't say enough good things about it.

After my divorce I sold both of my WSM's........but I was already smoking what I needed to on my kettles and still do now.  But I like the idea of the SJ/WSM.  Already looking for a pot on CL and Ebay! 
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
Good idea. I bought mine at a mexican store for $12. I hear Vasco makes a stainless one. AJ is the resident expert on this kind of stuff.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 07:16:07 PM »
here's the mini wsm i made

i haven't used it in quite a while though

Smokin Hutch

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 07:48:32 PM »
Smoker joe looks great Ron.

Here is my Smoker joe I made, it holds temps like an oven, all day on a small amount of fuel

I already had a gold Smokey Joe that I modded with a silver bottom.

Here is the bottom cut out. I left about 3/4 of an inch or so to help with durability.

Inside shot looking down.

Bottom rack with clay saucer.

Inside assembled.

Made a charcoal basket. Its the circumference of the charcoal grate and 4 inches high.

Installed thermometer and assembled.

Also if any one is thinking about building one, when you go to Walmart/Target to look for your steamer pot make sure you get the Imussa 32 quart pot that's made in China NOT Columbia! the Columbia model is just a bit to large, and the China model fits like it was made for the Smokey Joe.

Thanks for looking, Todd.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:24:50 PM »
I bought one at Target that was made in China and didn't fit. I would add it's a good idea to just take a lid in with you and see if it fits.

Smokin Hutch

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:22:13 PM »
I bought one at Target that was made in China and didn't fit. I would add it's a good idea to just take a lid in with you and see if it fits.

Good idea Duke, when I built this smoker it was a year or so ago, I'm sure overtime production varies, your best bet would be to bring the base and lid of your Smokey Joe to check for fit.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
Smokin looks good, almost looks like mine ;D  I think that cutting out the bottom like that is the best way (did mine that way) i am going to take the steamer tray out and put another rack with the clay pot tray in.

The thing cooks good food despite my best efforts LOL
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
Here's my little guy getting ready to cook (clearing heavy smoke).