Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Healthy grilling weekly cooks and pics.  (Read 3229 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Healthy grilling weekly cooks and pics.
« on: June 06, 2016, 06:04:01 PM »
Ok. So what would ya'll statesmen and grillfella's think of a weekly healthy grill session? I think everyone could take a page of wisdom from Hoss and instead of doing wings, fatties, burgers etc., maybe start doing something healthy.

So, every week someone different could suggest a new healthy grilled recipe of their pick to try and and everyone else does that same cook and post pictures of how their's turned out. No winners, no losers, only prize is a good grilled dinner once a week.

I think in the end it might actually be fun and get a good following. I would suggest letting someone who knows who's following the site regularly to pick a name weekly, so we could keep the ball rolling, but all that can be worked out.

What do you think guys? Comment either yes or no, maybe we can start something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolayiv

• WKC Brave
Re: Healthy grilling weekly cooks and pics.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 06:17:06 PM »
Great idea. Please don't nominate me. I was raised in the south were bacon grease is king.

Jim

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »
I love the idea.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 08:26:12 PM »
I like the idea too.

Seems far easier to make a tasty meal with a whack of salt and fat. So we may be able to help each other become better cooks.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
I ABSTOLUTELY LOVE this idea.
LOVE IT.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 02:41:08 AM »
@Travis, great suggestion!

I have been challenged by this lately as my wife enjoys lighter, fresher meals. Quick background; she doesn't eat beef or pork (only ham and bacon) so when I BBQ I'm usually grilling chicken or fish for her.

Last night we did an oriental chicken salad for dinner..I grilled the boneless skinless chicken breast with dinner on Sunday and just had to assemble before dinner.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:04:56 PM »
Yep, good idea. 90% of everything I grill is healthy and organic, free range, grass fed, non GMO. I'm on a crazy diet and need to loose another 30lbs but I have my splurge day every week. It would be nice to see and get ideas from others.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 09:26:37 PM »
Make sense to me  ...  I started grilling years ago 'cause the fat/grease drops into the coals and doesn't pool in a skillet (soaking back into the meat).  This seems like a totally logical extension of more-healthful eating.   Count me Inn.
SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
Blasphemy!  I averaged walking 10 miles a day last week and eat lean cuts of meat.  Now you are going to label me a health nut or something?  :o 

I like the idea  ;D

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Healthy grilling weekly cooks and pics.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 11:05:42 AM »
I think there's always been a great deal of healthy recipes here , people just don't label them as healthy but if your grilling veggies and lean meat , that's about as good as it gets , provided your not slathering it in bacon grease or butter .

The spice company I use here in  my area did a go fund me project to start this .

http://fitmencook.com/

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:46:26 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 05:28:43 AM »
I agree that it makes sense to recognize, and promote a decent lifestyle here (or anywhere.) Grilling already has that connotation, and connection, to fatty food, booze, and being either retired, off work that day, or just generally not being tremendously active at that time. On the other hand, we regularly tell ourselves that the grill is merely an outdoor oven or cook surface, and that we'd do anything out on the Weber that someone else would do using the kitchen range.

I've seen similar things happen before elsewhere, spearheaded by someone who mostly does it as a labor of love (they do it for themselves, welcoming anyone else who wants to participate at whatever interval they wish.)

That singular voice can help keep it going because they define the subject. One guy I know on another forum posts a random "update" to the forum's exercise/workout group. All it is, is him posting what he did that week when working out, some brief goals he's working on, the challenges to that and so on. Very easy, and he usually gets about 3-4 similar responses. It's not a major thing, nor is it a major thing to keep afloat.

So what's healthy? Like Idahawk said, the kinds of things we already do can indeed be healthy under the right circumstances. A salad is healthy until you put most-available salad dressings on it. McDonald's has a couple of healthy things, etc.

random ideas/observations regarding organizing

There was a time a few months ago when my youngest wanted to grill, as part of a grade school project. I posted those here with [Girl Griller] in the subject line. And there's a member here who numbered his cook posts, "Cook No. 1 ..." or some such. Anything done like that will make it easier to find and group them later, whether or not it ever grows into something larger.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 07:23:33 AM »
I like the idea!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC