Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turned an extra silver B into a full time griddle  (Read 7479 times)

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
Turned an extra silver B into a full time griddle
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:57:13 PM »
I have an extra gasser and I've been on this kick where I am making "diner" burgers on the griddle. I was thinking about buying a "little griddle " but the cost was high.
I was putzing around Cabelas today and found this monster for 87 dollars
12x20 cast iron griddle with 2 inch sides.
It s a great fit in a 2002 Genesis silver B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
Re: Turned an extra silver B into a full time griddle
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 06:17:33 AM »
That's a perfect sized griddle. Was this a CL find? Are there brand name markings anywhere? I'd be interested in finding one of those. I see bacon machine.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 04:47:20 AM »
That's a perfect sized griddle. Was this a CL find? Are there brand name markings anywhere? I'd be interested in finding one of those. I see bacon machine.
Especially with the trough  to capture the grease

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 09:25:47 AM »
Interesting. Can't find that on Cabela's site when searching for "griddle."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 09:35:54 AM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Professional-Flat-Top-Griddle-x/1441230.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dgriddle%26CQ_st%3Db

Not sure if those are the correct dimensions..but i'll be measuring my Genesis when I get home

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 01:04:07 AM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp-Chef-Professional-Flat-Top-Griddle-x/1441230.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dgriddle%26CQ_st%3Db

Not sure if those are the correct dimensions..but i'll be measuring my Genesis when I get home

Here is the link. I almost bought that one too but changed my mind last minute because I was the worried the bottom would be custom to their "ultimate grill" 

Here is what I bought:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Cast-Iron-Walled-Griddle/1238590.uts

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:15:11 AM »
WOW......that is awesome!  The Q&A says it weighs 35lbs......wow.  I'm definitely adding that to my shopping list.  Its not in stock at my local store, but the extra shipping surcharge is only $8.  Thats not too bad if its quality cast iron.

Does it have a ceramic coating on it, or does it appear to be bare cast iron that can be seasoned?  My only concern would be finding a place to store it where it wouldn't rust......unless they put a decent coating on it.
-Keith

Red Blaze

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 12:38:28 PM »
I used this one on my Genesis 1100,http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-CGG24B-grill-griddle/dp/B0009N0Q2U?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
Fits grill very well. I put it on top of grills, cook eggs bacon and pancakes at same time.
Burnin' Charcoal and Black Powder

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 02:54:20 PM »
WOW......that is awesome!  The Q&A says it weighs 35lbs......wow.  I'm definitely adding that to my shopping list.  Its not in stock at my local store, but the extra shipping surcharge is only $8.  Thats not too bad if its quality cast iron.

Does it have a ceramic coating on it, or does it appear to be bare cast iron that can be seasoned?  My only concern would be finding a place to store it where it wouldn't rust......unless they put a decent coating on it.

Bare cast that was pre-seasoned.
B

THKSNOW

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 07:11:23 AM »
I have an extra gasser and I've been on this kick where I am making "diner" burgers on the griddle. I was thinking about buying a "little griddle " but the cost was high.

Did you remove the cooking grates and set that right on the V Bars that cover the burners?  Have you used it and how's it working?  What temp setting for cooking?

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »

Did you remove the cooking grates and set that right on the V Bars that cover the burners?  Have you used it and how's it working?  What temp setting for cooking?

I took off the grate, and 2 of the v bars. The middle and back burner fire directly into griddle.  Cooks well  I think but I need to learn how to use it. Little bit of an art. I just got a griddle temp gauge  today so I can tell you temp tomorrow when I make burgers.

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »

Needle was buried past 600. Burgers take like 2 minutes.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 05:00:02 AM »
Mmmm......that's some greasy goodness right there.
-Keith

kvespestad

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
The griddle featured in the photos above looks like this model from Carolina Cookers:

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-cast-iron-griddle/p/68304/

The description says that the griddle has six 1-1/2 in. tall legs to raise the cooking surface and minimize hotspots. I'm guessing that presence of the legs is why butkusrules said that he removed two flavorizer bars.

I think I'm going to buy one.

BTW, the griddle is made to go with this two-burner stove:

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-cooker-double-burner-cast-iron-stove/p/48590/

Or this three-burner stove:

http://www.agrisupply.com/triple-burner-cast-iron-stove/p/48591/
22.5 OTS (1985), 18.5 "Original" Jumbo Joe (1993), Genesis Gold C (2004), Q 200 (2009), 22.5 WSM (2011), Performer Platinum (2013)

butkusrules

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 12:46:24 AM »