Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Briquettes  (Read 9972 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Charcoal Briquettes
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 06:56:28 PM »
I don't know, I guess I just don't give a shit too much, I just buy what's on sale and stock up when it's available. There's pro's and con's to all of it so, whatever. I'd rather blow my money on a good cut of meat rather than a fancy bag of coal. Other than the Walmart brand "backyard basics". I bought that cause it was cheap and it sucks. I still have a bag of it and might just use that shit to start a bonfire sometime. And, am not sure if it would get the job done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »
I use Stubbs almost exclusively.  Next would be the Jack Daniels, then the Coshell.  Every now and then I'll get the Kingsford Comp if Costco or Sam's has a special for the same price as KBB at HD or Lowe's.

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »
I grill over anything--KBB, Royal Oak briquettes and lump, B&B lump. But when I smoke, it's Stubbs briquettes and nothing else. Stubbs burns cleaner than anything else I've used, the briquettes make it predictable, and it's not terribly expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »
I agree; Stubbs give so much more flavor on it's own, that if you don't adjust the amount of wood you'd use for other brands, it's very easy to over smoke chicken or even your milder cuts of pork.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
I've never used anything but Stubbs. Works great for me so why change? Cost does not bother me.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Charcoal Briquettes
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 11:12:40 AM »
My favorites in this order:

1. Stubbs or Coshell (when available on latter)

2. Hardwood (Royal Oak or Kamado Joe) Ace sells KJ hardwood.

3. K applewood

4. K-Blue ( I like the smell, what can I say!?) but I have to let it burn longer before cooking with it..
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:14:35 AM by Craig »

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 03:53:26 AM »
@Turbo98, I picked up a bag of Rockford lump yesterday.  It is 100% Missouri hardwood made down your way.  Haven't used it yet. He is a link to there web site:

http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 04:31:28 AM »
Cool.  I'd like to know how it is and may try it.  Thanks.
Just an old '89 kettle........

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 05:19:22 AM »
Just chiming in here... I use plain ol' Kingsford and nothing else.  14 Hour cook with the Worm and no real issue with the performance.  Keeps a 225 - 250 F wit no problem. Yes... Ashy... most briquettes do that.  However, I do have a bag of el' Cheapo "Kindle" charcoal.  I use that for the start up coals.  About 15 of em' get the Kingsford started.    I place my hardwood in the beginning and near the middle of the offset stack.  Fond of Apple or Cherry wood for pork but default to Hickory or Pecan for Beef ribs or Brisket.

Just my $.02

JR
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 03:39:40 AM »
Well, so far the Kingsford is a lot better than what I was using.  That's not a bad idea using the cheap stuff just for the starter coals.  I need to use it up.
Just an old '89 kettle........

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 04:53:13 AM »
The one thing I can say about KBB is that they have perfected their process through millions of bags over decades.  For the sake of consistency you can always be certain you'll get the same burn rate and same temps every time.  Makes it easy for planning a long cook, but like others here have said the coal dust and clay-like binder they use creates really thick smoke necessitating a constant clean draft.  It also requires regular attention since it produces an abnormally large amount of ash and if you don't regularly knock it down it can strangle your fire.

Overall, my charcoal philosophy has evolved to buying better product and learning how to use less of it.  I'm with @Darko in that here in Canada Maple Leaf is the best natural briquette on the market, but in general read the packaging and use your best judgement.

That being said - If you've invested in a great steak and you like that afterburner temp charred sear like the steakhouses, get yourself a bag of natural lump.  It's not for every application, but for balzing heat direct grilling you won't regret it.

"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »
i stick with stubbs.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 03:40:55 PM »
i stick with stubbs.
Stubbs is very good chit and Lowes has had some good sales on it.
I also use KBB.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 08:28:43 PM »
The one thing I can say about KBB is that they have perfected their process through millions of bags over decades.  For the sake of consistency you can always be certain you'll get the same burn rate and same temps every time.  Makes it easy for planning a long cook, but like others here have said the coal dust and clay-like binder they use creates really thick smoke necessitating a constant clean draft.  It also requires regular attention since it produces an abnormally large amount of ash and if you don't regularly knock it down it can strangle your fire.

Overall, my charcoal philosophy has evolved to buying better product and learning how to use less of it.  I'm with @Darko in that here in Canada Maple Leaf is the best natural briquette on the market, but in general read the packaging and use your best judgement.

That being said - If you've invested in a great steak and you like that afterburner temp charred sear like the steakhouses, get yourself a bag of natural lump.  It's not for every application, but for balzing heat direct grilling you won't regret it.
Yeah, but KBB is the lowest common denominator, and Royal Oak isn't far behind.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2016, 04:50:08 AM »
Looks like we must send all the reject KBB up to our Canadian friends !

:)