Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal Briquettes  (Read 9971 times)

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
Charcoal Briquettes
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
For several years now, I have been using a brand of charcoal found at the local supermarket.  It is reasonably priced and seems to work well.  It is private labeled with the store's name on it so obviously a charcoal company is making it for them.  Lately, it seems it burns up pretty fast-even doing some brats during a grilling sesssion.  So I thought I'd try something else and picked up a bag of Kingsford.  The briquettes resemble each other in shape/design so I figure maybe Kingsford is the company supplying it to the store.  So I tried it out when I grilled some brats and it seemed to burn hotter, longer, and smelled better longer.  BUT today, I decided to do a couple slabs of baby back ribs.  I've cooked them many times but not with this exact particular method.  I put a couple standard bricks in my Weber kettle on the charcoal grate (off to one side) to bank off where the coals go.  I'm sure there is a name you all have or this method.  Anyway, I set up a water pan and used a rib rack.  I filled the charcoal section with Kingsford and buried a couple large chunks of dry hickory.  I lit 14 coals and spread them out on top.  It didn't seem like there were enough lit coals to get it going but I just covered it with all vents wide open and let it go.  I wasn't going a "low and slow" method this time around.  I previously did a small pork roast thingy using this method and it worked well.  But I used that store brand charcoal and it was burned up in less than 3 hours.  Anyway, WOW!!  Was that kettle hot or what and it lasted the whole 3 hours I had the ribs on there.  Now it's been 5 hours (top vents closed after 3) and it's still boiling the water in the water pan!!!!  Unreal heat and longevity.  They lit up very fast too.  I'm sold on this stuff for sure.  I should have taken people's advice on here earlier.  Now now I have to compensate adjust the vents and the amount of charcoal accordingly.  I'm not sure how long this kettle is going to remain hot but it's still blazing, lol.  Killer stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just an old '89 kettle........

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
Re: Charcoal Briquettes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:00 PM »
Try the Kingsford Professional/Competition. It doesn't have that nasty smell that the blue bag stuff has. Also produce lss ash and burn hotter and longer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 03:07:01 AM by Wahoo95 »

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
It takes time to "live and learn" as the saying goes.   KBB is a standard charcoal.  Many other varieties are as good or better.  Try some and keep good notes.  One thing while I think of it, try to never close the top vent damper more than half way.  It's usually best to have a "draw" on the system to pull off any bad smoke/residue, etc.   Learn to control the air intake with the bottom dampers.
SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »
I've been using Kingsford Blue (KBB) for years and years with no complaints.  I know that some people are overly sensitive and have problems with that brand.

Certainly, try other brands of briquettes or even lump.  You may find something that you like even better.

But, if you and your family don't have an unpleasant sensitivity to KBB, there's nothing wrong with it.  Kingsford does give you a consistent product that will perform the same way time after time after time, and three times a year Home Depot & Lowes put it on a huge sale (two 18.75 lb. bags for $9.99).

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:47:50 PM »
Yeah, I will keep my eye out for other brands or even do some lump at some point.  But so far, I really like the Kingsford's performance.  I was just amazed at how much better it was with seemingly the same looking briquette.  I didn't find the flavor or smell strange or anything.

I did look last night and sneaked an order into Home Depot for 5 two-packs of those bags you talked about.  They were half off so it was hard to pass up.  I'll pick them up later this week.
Thanks.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »
@Turbo98  FWIW  This is the usual Memorial Day KBB Sale  ...  some stores STOP the sale on the end of the day on May 31st.   Check your store or get those bags of KBB today !!!
SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
Yes, I figured that sale was the usual one and would end very soon.  I bought it online and will get to the store to pick it up in a couple days.  Thanks.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »
Don't worry too much, they run the same sale again around Labor Day.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

Turbo98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 05:25:57 PM »
Don't worry too much, they run the same sale again around Labor Day.
Awesome!

BD

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 04:57:58 PM »
yea got my usual 20 bags worth at the Memorial day sale

KBB is not bad stuff, not the best but it works great.

I do prefer some other stuff though, Coshell is a great charcoal and very environmentally friendly.

Anyway, I do like briquettes best in the kettle, they are very easy to predict, I have post around here where I do test with specific amounts of coals.
I like to get it right, and I find with the small size of a kettle briquettes over lump because you have engineered amounts instead of just looking.
Anyway in my large smoker, lump works good but I have so much more area to dissipate heat if I overshoot.
I guess it is all about technique.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Here in Canada we don't get those sales like you do in the US. My options are this as far as briquettes are concerned. Maple Leaf briquettes. Basically Maple leaf charcoal ground up and pressed into briquette form usin only wheat starch as a binder. Maple Leaf charcoal is a mix of Sugar maple, Beech & Birch.  Otherwise I have the option of buying Kingsford which is basically a mix of crap wood, coal dust, limestone dust, some shit binder, but it looks sort of pretty when it ashes over, or Royal Oak, which is pretty much the same as Kingsford. Here Kingsford & Royal Oak is more expensive than Maple Leaf.Given that, and my trials with any briquettes available, including som private label brands, I ve come to this simple conclusion... I would not use Kingsford or Royal Oak briquettes even if they paid me. Hell, I would become a vegetarian before I would use that crap.  Maple leaf Briquettes smell great, burn good and I would use those at times, but the amount of ash pisses me off.

Now, if you want to talk lump charcoal. The best is Basques. Pure Sugar Maple, beyond that, Maple Leaf charcoal is good as is Royal Oak lump. I actually liked Kingsford Charwood as well.

That's just my opinion.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
So are you saying that it's okay to grill your veggies over KBB?

BD
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:28:34 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
KBB is fine if you allow it to ash over before adding your food to the grill... But if you want WAY less smoke during startup - go lump
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 06:50:06 AM »

BD
Sure! But then again I don't eat much veggies.

In fact, If I could get the sales like you guys in the US get, I'd have no problem with KBB, well, other than the amount of ash, but that's common with all briquettes.
Where I am, it's a different story.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2016, 03:41:57 PM »

BD
Sure! But then again I don't eat much veggies.

In fact, If I could get the sales like you guys in the US get, I'd have no problem with KBB, well, other than the amount of ash, but that's common with all briquettes.
Where I am, it's a different story.

Yeah, it's hard to turn down (almost) 400 lbs for $100 - unless you're one of those with a sensitivity to it. 

I've used Red Oak and have not noticed any appreciable difference.  I also a couple of bags of Stubb's that I'm waiting to try.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy