Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Glen Blue Wood Dale  (Read 8139 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Glen Blue Wood Dale
« on: May 13, 2016, 07:04:25 PM »
First off, A HUGE THANK YOU to @TexasOnion for the heads up.  As I've said, if you're ever in Vegas, I owe you a steak dinner.

Second, A BIG THANK YOU to @Jason for the ash pan.  I know it's not exactly period correct, but man it makes it look awesome.  I've been trying to thank you since yesterday but your inbox was full.

On April 27 at 10:20 in the morning I was grading US History essays in the teacher's workroom in our school library.  To take a break, I decided to look at WKC.  I noticed I had a message from TexasOnion.  His message informed me of a Glen Blue at an estate sale in my area.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

A MLH Glen Blue Imperial listed as "Charcoal BBQ...with supplies."

First off, the estate sale went from 10-2 that day.  My school gets out each day at 2:40.  My next class started at 11:15.  I quickly checked the address on Google Maps and it said I was 23 minutes away.  Thankfully, the estate sale was on my side of town, though on the very southern edge of Vegas.  I had 55 minutes to get there, hope the grill was still available, and get back in time for my next class.

Like a crazy person I left the library, papers in one hand, stuffing my computer and charger in my bag, while still hanging on to my coffee.  Quickly made my way to the parking lot, and high tailed it out of there.  I drove quickly, trying to shave off a couple of minutes (which I did).  I arrived at 10:45, parked, entered the house and made a beeline for the backyard.  And there it was.  I kept a grip on it, bought it, and CAREFULLY took it back to my Tucson with the help of one of the estate sale employees.  Unfortunately, I was almost out of gas, had to stop, put in $5 to make it back to school, and arrived with LITERALLY 15 seconds before the bell rang for my 3rd block freshman World History class.  I was stoked. 

That night, I got it home, and debated what to do.  I know that I could sell this for a significant price, that would probably pay for all the other kettles I bought this year.  On the other hand, the odds that I'd ever find this kettle again are EXTREMELY low.  I emailed @harris92 and @pbe gummi bear for some advice. 

After some internal debate lasting a few days, I decided to keep it.  First off, my wife and daughter absolutely love it.  My wife calls it the "Tiffany Grill."  Can't argue.  The exterior was fantastic, the interior had some wear, but overall, it is in phenomenal shape.  It was missing the ash catcher, but all other parts were original.  I got a flat edged ash pan from @Jason and it arrived yesterday.  This afternoon, after work I did some VERY LIGHT restoration with some guidelines given to me from @harris92.  Mostly using barkeepers friend and a soft toothbrush.  No steel wool touched the outside of the kettle.  I lightly washed it using dish soap and a sponge. 

I did, however, clean up the bowl.  It looks amazing even on the inside.

Overall, this grill will be a cooker, but probably only on special occasions.  My birthday is on Monday, and I may break it in then.  But mostly, I just want to thank all the people here at the WKC.  This has been a phenomenal year growing into this hobby.  I've connected with a lot of great grillfellas, and have so enjoyed being outside this year cooking, restoring, and maintaining a neat part of American history.  I'm sure many of you just want to see the pics, so here we go!

How it looked when I brought it home:

Today's restoration:

Closeup of Bowl interior:

The rest:

Family pic before the ash pan arrived:

As Harris92 said to me, this is one that will be passed down to my kids. 

Rescue, Restore, Respect.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:06:17 PM by crowderjd »
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Glen Blue Wood Dale
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 07:07:02 PM »
I think it's finally time for that intervention. Happy birthday, buddy.  :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »
Congrats! It's a beauty. Keeping it is really the only way to go.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:29:00 PM »
Congrats! Keeper, and yes, one to hand down. Not about making bank, you will build more history with this grill that your children will remember.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:33:26 PM »
Great story and congratulations on a grill that will cook great meals for your family for years to come , it's a beauty !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:47:35 PM »
Wow!..that's a BEAUTY!..I can only hope to find one some day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »
Holy sh*t!
Awesome find Jason! Two wood dales in a matter of months, and a glen blue to boot. At this point I'd say buy some lottery tickets. You sir, are on fire, what a fine collection you are growing.

Seriously, incredible grill, glad you were able to get it, and solid effort from all other members involved!

Proud to be part of the club when these kind of things happen!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 08:30:58 PM »
@WNC thanks...this one blew my mind.  I would buy a lottery ticket, except Nevada doesn't sell them, believe it or not.  This is the reason I'm getting rid of a couple grills...between the ranch and this, I'm running out of space.  I LOVE Vegas, but really miss my large midwestern yard. 

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »
Congratulations!
May The Smoke Be With You!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 08:36:32 PM »
That is one clean and killer Imperial! Congratulations and Happy Birthday!!

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
Thanks all!  By the way, one really weird thing I noticed today.  The triangle is upside down.  During my cleanup today, I couldn't get it out of the front leg to flip around when I was cleaning up the legs, and I really didn't feel like forcing it.  That will get corrected eventually. 

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 09:31:25 PM »
Awesome story! Congratulations and happy birthday to you. Your birthday meal is going to be tasty on that bad boy. Lucky duck.
Christopher
2016 MT

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »
@crowderjd - that is the score of the year right there. Seriously. That is a beautiful grill, such a treasure.

@TexasOnion - that was noble and heroic. Please private message me your T-shirt size and your mailing address. I'm buying you a WKC T-shirt and sending you some shtuff.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 02:02:40 AM »
Congrats!  She's a beauty.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:58:45 AM »
Amazing grill and great story. Congrats
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.