Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'm done. DONE! I've learned my lesson...  (Read 10067 times)

Bman

• WKC Performer
I'm done. DONE! I've learned my lesson...
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
Since I joined this site not long ago, I've picked up ---

Joe silver for free. (donor for the mini I'm making)
2 gassers for free (clean up one for a family member gift & make a workstation from the other)
a 2011' Performer w/ gas assist.

The last 3 grills came over the weekend.
Today, I see this ad on CL searching for "webber" (amazing how many spell it that way)

nice 26 1/2 Webber kettle grill - $1 (Cambridge )
nice webber grill its a big one 26&1/2 in round.they are all over thhe net for 300.00.I used it one summer.really. good grill.I'm looking for a. dirt bike running or not.iphone ipads broking gold.text me with picture of what you have.443-477-2920

I text the guy, we go back-n-forth as he's 125 miles away.  He said he needs it gone and has it listed on "swap and sell" for 50 bucks.  Holy shit! 
Said I'd give him $60 if he'll hold it and I'm on my way this afternoon. 
Get to his place and he says it's 2 minutes up the road in storage.  :o 
Then he jumps in my truck with me.  :o :o 
We get to the storage place, in da hood, and the fooker forgot his keys...  :o :o :o 

Back to his place, grab the keys, and back to the unit. 
He unlocks the door, turns on the light and I'm starting to  ;D 
Take 1 step in where I get a distance visual and start to  :'( 
I inform the dipshit that ain't no 26.5" grill!   >:(  >:(  >:( 
He doesn't believe me and grabs a yardstick.  Yup, 22.5" OTG   ::)

It was very clean and in great condition, but I told him 1) I already have one 2) these are a dime-a-dozen.   :-X
I offer 20 bucks because I didn't have a 10.  He kinda feels bad since I drove all that way, and accepted.

I didn't tell my wife any of this story as she went with me on Sat & Sun grill collecting.  She's sitting next to me while I'm typing.   :-*
Keeping this from her means I have a problem.  CL in the morning (iPad), CL in day (iPhone), CL in the evening (laptop)   :-[
I'm going cold turkey.  I'm done.  It's affecting our marriage.  No more kettle collecting.  Unless they have an actual photo
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: I'm done. DONE! I've learned my lesson...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »
Sounds like your just getting started to me.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »

OK, that's it, "Post of the Month" has arrived.......

Esp. the last line:

"I'm going cold turkey.  I'm done.  It's affecting our marriage.  No more kettle collecting. Unless they have an actual photo"

Which, as we all know by now, is a perfect addition to any SANE kettle collector's signature line !!!!

PS: Bman, you did see what happened to me today, right?
 ( See: Sacramento "RED" Performer $250  & YO!!!  threads....)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »
The diagnosis...."Weberitis"....to which there is no cure.  You'll be back.

Moral of the story....if you cant spell Weber, you probably cant read a tape measure.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:44:19 PM by G »

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »
Hey Chad...I think many of us have been there, thought it was a 26....only to learn it was really a 22.  Some of us have drove to one like you (no names here!) and many of us have questioned ads we've seen.  Don't feel so bad.
BTW...I said I was done 20 grills ago...and as Stu said, there is no cure for Weberitis.  Don't fight it...just tell the wife the next grill is "hers"  LOL
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:49:58 PM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »
I concur with Stu and Jeff, its a case of Weberitis. What you do is you go on a "buying freeze" for a while, cook up some fantastic meals just your wife with your existing kettles. Then some time down the road, you score your 26"er, and figure that your doing it for the greater good. My wife knows I have a problem....she has a shoe problem. Of course, shoes don't require covers, grates, new handles, high heat paint, colored hubcaps, if applicable, some new cookware for the kettles, .....................hmmmmm the list goes on............ ;D

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
I had to put myself in time out after my trip last week.  Foolish, put my job, marriage, maybe even myself in a bad spot.  Went too far, spent too much.  There is a thin line between collection and addiction.  When you put that above things that really matter, you've got a problem, you've got Weberitis. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:28:32 PM by reillyranch »

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »
I'm behind both of you....I mean I'll encourage your addiction the whole time....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:06:11 PM »
I had to put myself in time out after my trip last week.  Foolish, put my job, marriage, maybe even myself in a bad spot.  Went too far, spent too much.  There is a thin line between collection and addiction.  When you put that above things that really matter, you've got a problem, you've got Weberitius.
I agree 100%. There's a right time and a wrong time to add to the stable. Happy Wife, happy life....I know a cliche, but it has merit.  ;)
and Brian........ ;D ;D

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
Likewise, I've also emailed/asked for further verification of the 26.75" grill only to be informed I was correct - only 22.5"

But this one was different!  Or so I was duped to believe.  It's a mirage.  I'm seeing what I wanna see.

I cancelled & moved my evening chiropractor appt so I could feed the addiction.  I'm a goner, but you people still have time - save yourself!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 07:10:05 PM »
I'm a goner, but you people still have time - save yourself!
Your not leaving us are you?  ???

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:14 PM »
BMan...we've all been there.  If it helps you feel any better, last summer I responded to a no-picture CL ad, drove 45 minutes, and spent an hour helping this lady clean out years of accumulation, dust, and dead lady bugs in her garage to get at a supposed 60s Weber kettle in "excellent condition" that included several accessories (she was certain about a rotisserie nd rib rack).  After sweating my a$$ off and listening to the story associated with every piece of clutter removed from the confines of that garage, we finally get to the kettle.  My heart sank when I saw it was a standard black OTS from the mid 80s that looked like it had spent a good portion of its days outside.  To make matters worse, she had a mass of stuff piled on it which in time broke the welds to 2 of the 3 legs.  If that wasnt enough, the only accessory found was one charcoal rail.

I chuckle about it now but at the time, I had a new place for this person to store her charcoal rail..... 

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:22:18 PM »
"When it's just one more grill and you gotta have it, you've got a problem, you've got Weberitis."   

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
Good one Bman its nice to know your not alone.... I've been suffering from Yellow Fever for the last month. Things are getting so bad that I've been contacting CL ads in the US. Dam I nearly had that yellow kettle in Portland
6 mths ago if you had told me I'd be trying to import 40+yr old BBQ's back to Australia , I would of laughed in your face. But here we are and I love it!!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
It's a cheap hobby, so you drive around and meet some interesting people.  Where's the harm in that...Now Reilly is a different story...Reilly do you have a new adventure you would like to share?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X