Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Now what......  (Read 4843 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Now what......
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
Sorry I haven't posted in so long.....things have been overwhelming.   If anyone has a child with special needs, they will know that everyday is a challenge.   And it certainly has been challenging and scary lately since my 5 yr old son has had some scary emotional/ mental issues going on.  Blah.....I apologize for the ramblings of a mother.   :-[ :-[ :-[

Because of what I stated previously, my mother is traveling 1500 miles to stay with us for a while.   I want to make her a nice meal this coming weekend.....she lives with my sister who is a vegan! Whaaaaaaat?!?!  Anywhoooooo......

I found some tritip at the store last night.  I had never seen them before and these two were marked down...4.39 lb from 6.99 lb.  so I grabbed them both.  But.....now what?   I have absolutely no point of reference with them.  Slow cook?  High heat?  Low heat?  I know I don't want smoke because I want to taste this meat since its new to us.  They are about 3 lbs each and have a thinnish fat cap on them.   How long should they cook?   What do you do about the shape of it?, I would guess that the thinner end cooks faster than the rest of it. Is it a tender piece of meat? Or a tough roast that needs to cook long?   
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Now what......
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »
Good to hear from you Cookingmama! Hang in ther and stay strong for His sake. I saw Buckie did a pretty nice tri tip recently in the cooking section. You can also use these two links. Keep us posted!

http://virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html

http://youtu.be/gmxHmuV4vTU

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »
It all depends on how you like your meat. Be sure to follow the tips on carving it up.
Buckie also did a few cooks, and they looked awesome.
We love Tri-Tip at my house. Its deifinitley more of a West Coast item. Let us know how it turns out.  8)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg21087/#msg21087
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:34:34 AM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »
Good to hear from you, but you don't need to apoligize, familiy comes first. Tri-tip is on my list to do yet so let us know what you decide what to do, when you get a chance.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:15:54 AM »
Good to hear from you
We don't even have that cut of meat out here, so I can't help you
But I'll be watching to see what you come up with
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:59:39 AM »
I love tri tip.

I typically sear it over the flames on both sides (maybe 5 minutes a side, depends how hot you get your hot spot),   then move it off indirect until medium rare ish.  Since it is a roast, some parts will be medium-er for those that like it cooked more, and some parts will be rare-er for the people that know what good food is.  Don't over cook it, and when you slice it, make sure you go across the grain.  The grain switches up on you in a tri tip, so your cutting angle will change.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »
Cookingmama !! Glad to see you here.....

A nod to your strength in re: to the youngster....... :)

"4.39 lb" is is a decent deal & I would watch for that price or lower, if you can.....
OK, now that you have it home, like G$ says with the sear 1st & set off to indirect is a good way to go, esp. for 1st time cooking..............
Get a good crust on it, I'll use granulated garlic &/or maybe something like Pappy's or a flavorful, but no too spicy rub that you have around.....
I set them in the indirect area with the thick side toward the coals & for med. rare go to about 135 in the center of the roast.....

Another real good thing to MAYBE try is injecting, I do that almost always, nowadays, but saw where you wanted to see how it was mostly straight ahead........
For that, use really any kind of flavor that you & your family likes & if the marinade has bits & pieces in it, just run it thru a strainer before so it won't clog the injector.....
Reason I suggest that is: Most folks treat this as a steak,  I treat it as a roast & like to cook it slower & keep it juiced up.....injecting will help big time......

I also like to leave the fat cap ON & cook with it UP as it helps keep the moisture & flavor thing working better that way......

On the indirect thing, I wouldn't go at too high of heat, maybe 275 at the grate; just noticed that if you cook them way too fast, they're not quite as tender......I go a bit lower like that for 1~1/2 hours, your cook may vary?

Hope this helps &
Have a great cookup & let us know how it goes !!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
You can't go wrong with the Buckie metthod! I've never cooked a tri like a roast, but it sounds fantastic!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »
You can't go wrong with the Buckie metthod! I've never cooked a tri like a roast, but it sounds fantastic!  8)
I learned this method from Steve Whiting "The Midnight Smoker" from Sacramento. You probably know him Buckie. If not here he is at the top of page two. Invite him here, he's one heck of a pitmaster.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?17445-If-they-didn-t-make-the-WSM-what-would-you-buy/page2

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 06:51:04 AM »
Good to hear from you CookingMama!  :D  We miss you on here and fully understand that family comes first. As for tri tip, I've not done these yet. Unfortunately I can't speak to the techniques. Sorry.  :-\

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 05:55:43 AM »
Thanks for suggestions guys.  I got sick again, but I plan on making these soon.   Darn wierd weather! 
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 06:46:41 AM »
There are varying opinions on cooking tri-tip.  Searing like a steak or reverse searing.  I'm a fan of the reverse sear.  Set up for indirect cooking and hit it with some smoke at anywhere from 225-350(I use oak but you can use hickory or a little mesquite).  When the internal temp hits about 20-25 from your target temp(medium rare is best) sear both side of the tri-tip.  I love tri-tip and make it quite often.  Here is a perfect video for demonstrating how to cut the tri-tip.  Always cut against the grain.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit: sorry for posting a video that was already posted

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 06:54:58 AM by chriscw81 »

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »
Oh yeah, season it like you would a steak.....and let us know how it goes.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2