Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's the best way to polish a kettle?  (Read 5237 times)

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
What's the best way to polish a kettle?
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »
Anyone know the best way to polish and shine up an old kettle? Are there any recommended products or methods I can try? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: What's the best way to polish a kettle?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
I use 0000 steel wool and it shines 'em up like brand new. Now if its super dirty, I wash it down first with a little bit of soap and water, then finish off with the 0000 wool. For the legs and vents, I've used Mothers Mag or Turtle Wax polishing compound.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »
I have never polished one, but have used triple zero steel wool that works really good. I also hear rubbing compound works well but have never tried it.

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:32 PM »
I used the 0000 steel wool on the inside of the 26'er bowl I got and WOW it worked great!!!

Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

SmoothSmoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:05:47 PM »
Simple green to get off the grime and oils.  Then 0000 wool. 

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 07:30:41 AM »
Jeff recommended Cerama Bryte Cooktop Cleaner and that is a good enough recommendation for me. I haven't tried it yet but have high hopes.

What about polishing up the aluminum bits like legs, ash catcher and wheels. I'd also like to know what to use to protect the aluminum parts that come in contact with ash as well.

For grease removal, Simple Green or Dawn is a good last step. I have used WD-40 first to soften the grease up so the degreasers work better.

If it is the greasy residue on the grates, I put them in a hot camp fire and burn them off then oil the grates to prevent rusting.
kettles, smokers...

Big B

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
I use my wifes glass cooktop cleaner all the time, it works awesome. Cleans and Shines! all at once...I love it

I used the 0000 steel wool on the inside of the 26'er bowl I got and WOW it worked great!!!

Holy Crap, That is amazing....Nice Bob

Brent
Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 04:08:19 PM »
When I got it -

After using a paint stir stick to scrape the crap

Sprayed with a commercial degreaser

After scrubbing with a SOS pad and rinsing with water
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 06:19:21 PM »
If you are just trying to shine an already clean kettle, 0000 steel wool or polishing compound.  If more cleaning is involved, Ive had the best luck with a commercial degreaser, dish soap, and coarse steel wool.  Afterwards, I'll use a dull flathead screwdriver to remove the stubborn caked on stuff followed by a fine steel wool scrub for a good shine. 

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:56:11 AM »
I have a performer blue with the plastic table I picked up recently, and the lid and bowl shined up nicely with 0000 Steel wool and water with dish soap as a lubricant and light degreaser. The plastic table was pretty badly stained brown, and a soft brush and dish soap wouldn't get it clean, so I used Bar Keeper's friend. This stuff works like a dream on the kitchen stove at removing burned on spills, and worked awesome on the plastic table. Be careful though, this stuff has a mild acid in it. It works wonders on breaking up surface rust, stains, and discoloration on stainless pots and pans. Put the powder on a slightly wet surface and scrub it in a little. Let it stand for 30 seconds to a minute and rinse off.

Not sure how it would fare on the Kettle finish, but it doesn't ruin the cheap finish on my kitchen stove. (white)